It's been dubbed the "mothership," the "donut" and the "retrograde cocoon," but whether you love it or hate it, Apple's newest creation is creating a buzz. (How typical.)
The latest plans for Apple's future, a ring-shaped corporate campus in Cupertino, Calif., reveal that the 300,000-square-foot structure (to house up to 13,000 Apple employees) will be packed to the gills with the latest Apple in-office technology. (No surprise there.) However, the latest revision also reveals that it will boast a rectangular corporate auditorium for product demonstrations (to seat up to 1,000), a low-carbon central plant that will supply the campus' power, and 300,000 square feet of research facilities. Oh, and a fitness center.
The campus, which won't replace 1 Infinite Loop as the company's official headquarters, will also include a roof covered in photovoltaic solar panels, and base isolators constructed beneath the building's foundation to make the structure virtually earthquake-proof.
In case of drought, Armageddon or zombie attacks, the campus will also have its very own food supply. That's right: The new Apple structure will contain hundreds of cherry, apricot, plum, olive and apple trees onsite. Talk about locavore!
Apple announced last month that it plans to break ground on the project sometime later this year. The construction, however, hinges almost entirely on Cupertino's approval of the project. If the city gives Apple the OK, the company hopes to open the doors to its campus in 2015.
Buy Your Own Private Island for $75 Million, Town Included
Kansas Missile Silo's Luxury Condos Sell Out
Norwegian Submarine Base Surfaces on the Market
More on AOL :
Find out how to calculate mortgage payments.
Find homes for sale in your area.
Find foreclosures in your area.
See celebrity real estate.
Follow us on Twitter @AOLRealEstate, or connect with AOL Real Estate on Facebook.
- This Year's Best High-Interest Savings Accounts
- The Best States to Retire in 2022
- 7 Crucial Retirement Mistakes
- Don’t Borrow From The Bank - Borrow From Yourself
- Turn Your Home Equity Into Cash Before a Recession
- Use The Equity In Your Home To Get The Cash You Need
- Home Equity Surges: Compare Home Equity Loans
- Age 62+? Take this Quiz to Qualify for a Home Equity Conversion
- Digital Mortgage Platform Helps New Home Buyers Qualify to Buy
- 5 Best Cash Back Credit Cards For 2022
- Spend $500, Get $200 Fast With This Top Card
- 3 Cards That Can Help You Take Your Dream Vacation
- The True Story Behind "The Blind Side"
- These Are All The Hidden Hacks Of Costco
- The Largest Military Planes In The World Are A Sight To Behold