It's bad enough to be spotted by the nextdoor neighbor when you're trying to break into a house. It's even worse when the next-door neighbor is a cop.
That's what happened to a pair of purported contractors in Dacula, Ga. An off-duty police officer noticed the couple trying to jimmy open the front door of the vacant house next door, so he grabbed his badge and gun and went over to confront them.
The couple, Heather Farmer, 30, and Paul Hornsby, 41, (pictured above) claimed that they worked for a bank and a property preservation company, and were at the home on official business. But they couldn't produce work orders, and police didn't buy it when a man claiming to be their employer vouched for their presence in the home.
The pair was arrested, and that's when their troubles really began.
Read more about it on Dacula Patch.
The homeowner was lucky; he lived next to a vigilant off-duty cop. For everyone else, there are home-security measures you can take to help prevent break-ins. Check out some of our handy home security guides:
• Learn more about advances in home-security technology and systems that offer cutting-edge protection.
• See some affordable ways to keep your home more secure: Read this article and check out this gallery.
• Learn 12 ways to secure your home, inside and out.
• Watch the the video below for step-by-step instructions on how to secure your new home.
- 7 Crucial Retirement Mistakes
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- This Year's Best High-Interest Savings Accounts
- Are You A Homeowner? Turn Your Skyrocketing Equity Into Cash
- Don't Borrow From The Bank - Borrow From Yourself
- The 3 Best Options To Borrow From Yourself
- Home Mortgage Rates Drop Sharply This Week
- HARP Refinance Program is Over. Now What?
- Digital Mortgage Platform Helps Home Buyers Shop for Mortgages
- Spend $500, Get $200 Fast With This Top Card
- Best Travel Credit Cards Of May 2022
- Plan The Trip Of A Lifetime With This Travel Card Bonus
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Refinance Rates Remain Historically Cheap