By Les Christie
Buying a home may never get any cheaper than this. Several housing experts are predicting that this year will be the last chance for bargain hunters to cash in on the best deals of the weak housing market.
With home prices down 34% nationally since 2006 and mortgage rates at historic lows, homes have never been more affordable -- but it won't stay this way for much longer.
Stuart Hoffman, chief economist for PNC Financial Services, said he expects home prices to flatten out by the third quarter and start climbing by next year.
A number of factors will help bolster the housing market, he said, including a decline in the number of foreclosures and continued job growth. In addition, homebuyers will have better access to mortgages as they get their finances in order and improve their credit scores.
"This is a strong indicator that we will start seeing home price indexes, like the S&P/Case-Shiller, start to report home price increases this summer," he said.
Prospective homebuyers who've been sitting on the fence shouldn't worry if they aren't quite ready to make the leap. Analysts are predicting that the initial price gains will be modest, at least, in most markets.
Read more at CNNMoney.
Also from CNNMoney:
Selling America's Bunkers
Airbnb: More Than a Place to Crash
Malls Are Alive and Kicking
More on AOL Real Estate:
Find out how to calculate mortgage payments.
Find homes for sale in your area.
Find foreclosures in your area.
See celebrity real estate.
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- Can You Refinance With $0 Out Of Pocket?
- Recalculate Your House Payment in Minutes
- Can You Save $23,000 By Refinancing Your Home?
- Home Mortgage Rates Drop Sharply This Week
- HARP Refinance Program is Over. Now What?
- Digital Mortgage Platform Helps Home Buyers Shop for Mortgages
- Mind-Blowing Cards for Those with Excellent Credit
- 6 Best Balance Transfer Credit Cards Of 2022
- Want to Travel Practically Free? This Card Is For You
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Refinance Rates Remain Historically Cheap