Ever dream about snagging a great old house with good bones, fixing it up by the sweat of your brow, and transforming it into a period showplace? Well, you're in luck. This Old House is out with its 2012 list of the country's "Best Old House Neighborhoods" -- which includes dozens of places where you can find -- and afford -- "a diamond in the rough that you can polish into a lasting gem."
Here's the inside scoop on a few of the neighborhoods that deliver the best return on your investment.
More on This Old House:
Best Neighborhoods 2012: For First-Timers
Best Neighborhoods 2012: Family Friendly
Best Neighborhoods 2012: Retirees
First-Time Homebuyer's Guide
How to Shop for Your First Home
How to Get a Low Mortgage Rate
More on AOL Real Estate:
Find out how to calculate mortgage payments.
Find homes for sale in your area.
Find foreclosures in your area.
Find homes for rent in your area.
- 7 Crucial Retirement Mistakes
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- This Year's Best High-Interest Savings Accounts
- Are You A Homeowner? Turn Your Skyrocketing Equity Into Cash
- Need Cash? Take Money Out of Your Home
- Smart Ways To Pay for a Home Renovation
- Home Mortgage Rates Drop Sharply This Week
- HARP Refinance Program is Over. Now What?
- Digital Mortgage Platform Helps Home Buyers Shop for Mortgages
- Take Control Of Your Finances With These Cards
- Spend $500, Get $200 Fast with This Top Card
- Want to Travel Practically Free? This Card Is For You
- The True Story Behind "The Blind Side"
- These Are All The Hidden Hacks Of Costco
- The Largest Military Planes In The World Are A Sight To Behold