Ever dream about snagging a great old house with good bones, fixing it up by the sweat of your brow, and transforming it into a period showplace? Well, you're in luck. This Old House is out with its 2012 list of the country's "Best Old House Neighborhoods" -- which includes dozens of places where you can find -- and afford -- "a diamond in the rough that you can polish into a lasting gem."
Here's the inside scoop on a few of the neighborhoods that deliver the best return on your investment.
More on This Old House:
Best Neighborhoods 2012: For First-Timers
Best Neighborhoods 2012: Family Friendly
Best Neighborhoods 2012: Retirees
First-Time Homebuyer's Guide
How to Shop for Your First Home
How to Get a Low Mortgage Rate
More on AOL Real Estate:
Find out how to calculate mortgage payments.
Find homes for sale in your area.
Find foreclosures in your area.
Find homes for rent in your area.
The Latest from our Partners
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- Ready to Withdraw from Your Retirement Accounts? Do it in This Order
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- $400K Refi in this Economy? 1.979% APR (15 yr)
- Experts urge Americans to refinance in 2021
- Little-Known VA Option Could Save Veterans Thousands
- Home Mortgage Rates Drop Sharply This Week
- HARP Refinance Program is Over. Now What?
- Digital Mortgage Platform Helps Home Buyers Shop for Mortgages
- 4 Cards With Massive Sign Up Bonuses (Get $200 Fast)
- Pay No Interest Until 2022 With A Better Credit Card
- Getting approved for 1 of these cards means you have excellent credit
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $726k (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program