Barbara Cadranel of Stratford, Conn., will be having a very happy Passover: The lawsuit over a mezuzah that pitted her First Amendment rights against her condo association's bylaws ended Tuesday when the association backed down.
Her lawyers, Nathan Lewin and Alyza D. Lewin announced that Cadranel, who had been threatened with fines by the California Condominium Association for following the rules of her Jewish faith and hanging a mezuzah on the door frame of her apartment, had seen the issue resolved in her favor.
The California Condominium Association agreed that Cadranel could hang her mezuzah and has rescinded all penalties and fees against her. The association also says that, henceforth, it will allow residents to place mezuzahs or other religious symbols on door frames without requiring advance approval.
Kurt Ahlberg, attorney for the California Condominium Association, sent a letter to the editor of the Connecticut Post stating that "Ms. Cadranel acted with full propriety and within her legal rights in affixing the mezuzah to her door post" and offered a "personal apology to her as well as the Jewish community for this incident." The letter ended on an emotional note with Ahlberg advocating against discrimination and for the freedom of religion, saying, "In the true spirit of our Easter and Passover season, we all look forward to the forgiveness of our transgressions and pray for the future."
To read the original article on the case, click here.
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- Historic Refi Rate Alert: 2.06% APR. Can you save?
- Experts Recommend to Refi Before Rates Keep Rising
- Calculate your new refi payment in minutes. See if you can save
- Home Mortgage Rates Drop Sharply This Week
- HARP Refinance Program is Over. Now What?
- Digital Mortgage Platform Helps Home Buyers Shop for Mortgages
- Pay No Interest Until Nearly 2023 With A Better Credit Card
- 6 Reasons We Call This The Best Cash Back Card of 2021
- Your Best Credit Card Offers for May 2021
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program