Since January, we've known that Playfish was up to something - a mysterious journey of some sort - on Facebook. Now, that mystery has been given a name - Secret Island. If you're one of the lucky few that landed a spot in the game's closed beta, you can now dive right in, and we're here with a look at what to expect. Note: As the game is in closed beta, the final product may change drastically from this overview.
The game begins during a rainstorm, as you've washed up on the beach of the "island that time forgot." Your first goal will be to build shelter from the storm, introducing you to some Pioneer Trail - esque mechanics, as you clear grass and chop down trees for materials. From there, you'll be introduced to the giant talking stone head called Maka that serves as your in-game store. You'll be able to buy farm plots, plant seeds for food (which is used to replenish your energy) and more from Maka.
The more you play the game, the more of the "Secret Island" you'll end up exploring, and you'll meet various new characters along the way. The island's map is a large one, with different areas to explore a la THQ's MargaritaVille, all with their own quests and activities to complete. You'll even be able to collect items for collections that reward you with special prizes - either those that just give you a boost in gameplay, or can be used to further the story.
Ultimately, the gameplay of Secret Island doesn't look to be that different from many other games already available on Facebook or mobile platforms, but the island's secrets - something along the lines of the island being alive and watching you - do look to offer a fun twist to the story as it unfolds.
We'll make sure to let you know when Secret Island launches to the general public on Facebook, so stay tuned!
Are you excited to try out Secret Island for yourself? Sound off in the comments.
- Latest mortgage news: Rates close in on 6%
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing clock is ticking as rates rise
- The True Story Behind "The Blind Side"
- These Are All The Hidden Hacks Of Costco
- The Largest Military Planes In The World Are A Sight To Behold
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!
- Want Cash Out of Your Home? Here Are Your Best Options
- Best Refinance Rates for Summer
- Are You A Homeowner? Turn Your Skyrocketing Equity Into Cash
- Notice: cars driven less than 25 miles could pay less
- Seniors, get car insurance from $39 per month
- Qualified zip codes save big on insurance
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- Restaurant servers freak out when someone requests ‘a table for 91’
- Nordstrom Rack seriously has the best 4th of July sale — shop 30+ of o…
- This $13 best-selling portable luggage scale will ensure that your sui…
- Take Control Of Your Finances With These Cards
- Spend $500, Get $200 Fast with This Top Card
- Want to Travel Practically Free? This Card Is For You