Man, 74, Convicted In Attack On Co-Worker With Screw-Studded Bat

Jesse Felder PMIA 74-year-old Pennsylvania man who attacked a co-worker with a club studded with screws faces the possibility of as much as 25 in years in prison after a judge found him guilty of aggravated assault.

Jesse Felder was convicted in Montgomery County Court on charges of aggravated assault and possessing an offensive weapon in the Feb. 11 attack that occurred at Penn Manufacturing Industries Inc. in suburban Philadelphia, says The Reporter of Lansdale, Pa.

The victim, who wasn't named in the report, suffered puncture wounds to his leg and back, according to authorities.

"He said he was scared for his life and it had a serious impact on him for weeks afterwards by causing him to lose sleep," Assistant District Attorney Alec O'Neill, told the court, referring to the victim.

Co-workers who witnessed the attack were shocked by the unexpected incident, O'Neill said.

Police were called to the Penn Manufacturing facility Feb. 11 in response to a call about a fight. A company official told police that a male employee was attacked by Felder, who was a maintenance employee at the manufacturing and engineering services company.

"Employees recovered an instrument that was a homemade club approximately 32 inches long and had approximately 32 screws protruding two inches out of the top 10 inches of the club," Montgomery Township Police Officer Lee A. Wagner alleged in the criminal complaint, according to the Reporter.

According to the criminal complaint, Felder confessed that he struck the victim on both legs with the club, which prosecutors likened to a pruning saw, while the victim was seated and then chased the victim with a folding knife.

The victim was taken to a local hospital for treatment of his injuries, police said.

Judge Thomas C. Branca found that Felder attempted to cause serious bodily injury to another person with a deadly weapon, but deferred sentencing until Felder can undergo a mental health evaluation.

Felder remains free on bail awaiting a sentencing hearing, scheduled for June 11. He faces a possible maximum sentence of 12½ to 25 years in prison on the charges, according to the Reporter.

The incident reportedly began shorty after the victim kicked a box that was near Felder, who maintained in court that he had been harassed. Witnesses, however, testified that they couldn't identify any incidents of harassment on the part of either man.

"No matter what minor excuses are given, nothing justifies taking a homemade deadly weapon and using it on a co-worker," O'Neill told the court.

Next:Bank Teller Charged With Embezzling $58,000, Says She Is Extortion Victim

Don't Miss: Companies Hiring Now

Stories from CNNMoney

Read Full Story