The house made famous by the holiday blockbuster "Home Alone" has finally sold for $1.585 million, after almost a year on the market.
The home, located in the Chicago North Shore suburb of Winnetka, was initially listed in May of last year for $2.4 million. (It most recently had been listed for $1.95 million in October.) It has 14 rooms -- some of which were featured in the 1990 film, from the attic bedroom, to the kitchen, to the staircase where Harry loses a tooth -- and sits on a half-acre lot, just blocks away from magnificent Lake Michigan.
A lot of the original decor seen in the movie -- the patterned wallpapers, the festive red and green decor and antique furnishings -- has since been updated. Now, clean grey walls and sleek, modern furniture adorn the 4,250-square-foot home, and though it no longer feels like the "warm and cozy Christmas house" that you see in the movie, it's still a genuine looker.
Coldwell Banker's Marissa Hopkins says that selling the unique home was a "privilege," and was happy to learn that the home "touched so many fans and families."
The home's owners, empty-nesters John and Cynthia Abendshien, apparently were ready to downsize because they just "didn't need that much space."
Browse the gallery above for a look at the home, then and now.
The Latest from our Partners
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- Ready to Withdraw from Your Retirement Accounts? Do it in This Order
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- Are you a homeowner? Refinance rates at 1.979% APR.
- Rates Could Rise After the Fed Meets. Lock in Now.
- If You're Current or Former Military, You'd Better Read This
- Home Mortgage Rates Drop Sharply This Week
- HARP Refinance Program is Over. Now What?
- Digital Mortgage Platform Helps Home Buyers Shop for Mortgages
- Do you spend enough on groceries to make an annual fee worth it?
- Transfer your debt to a card with 0% intro APR until 2022
- 7 Cards With Ridiculous Cash Back
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $726k (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program