The family of a Russian billionaire has bought a New York City penthouse apartment for $88 million. The Wall Street Journal says the property on Central Park West in Manhattan is now the most expensive apartment in New York.
The seller was Sanford I. Weill, the former head of Citigroup Inc. It was bought by a trust for the daughter of Dmitry Rybolovlev. The deal closed on Wednesday.
Features of the apartment include a wraparound terrace.
The Journal says the sale generated nearly $2.5 million in city and state taxes. The brokers' commission: about $3.5 million. Weill previously said he plans to donate the proceeds of the sale to charity.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. Active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
Another Russian Holds the U.S. Record
As AOL Real Estate previously reported, Rybolovlev, a Russian fertilizer magnate, was said to be helping to finance the massive purchase for his daughter, Ekaterina Rybolovlev. A statement released by Ekaterina Rybolovlev's representatives in December said that she plans to stay in the New York City apartment while studying at a U.S. university.
But the mantle of priciest home sale in the U.S. still belongs to Rybolovlev's Russian compatriot and fellow billionaire, Yuri Milner, who purchased a $100 million mansion in Los Altos, Calif., in March of last year. See Milner's mansion in the gallery below.
Photos from the interior and common areas of the apartment building where Rybolovlev just closed are pictured at the top and below.
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- Historic Refi Rate Alert: 1.99% APR. Can you save?
- Need Cash? How to Access Your Home's Equity
- Experts Recommend to Refi Before Rates Keep Rising
- Home Mortgage Rates Drop Sharply This Week
- HARP Refinance Program is Over. Now What?
- Digital Mortgage Platform Helps Home Buyers Shop for Mortgages
- Cards Charging 0% Interest Until Nearly 2023
- You Could Earn 100K Points With This Astonishing Travel Card
- Get Financially Fit with these Credit Cards
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program