The family of a Russian billionaire has bought a New York City penthouse apartment for $88 million. The Wall Street Journal says the property on Central Park West in Manhattan is now the most expensive apartment in New York.
The seller was Sanford I. Weill, the former head of Citigroup Inc. It was bought by a trust for the daughter of Dmitry Rybolovlev. The deal closed on Wednesday.
Features of the apartment include a wraparound terrace.
The Journal says the sale generated nearly $2.5 million in city and state taxes. The brokers' commission: about $3.5 million. Weill previously said he plans to donate the proceeds of the sale to charity.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. Active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
Another Russian Holds the U.S. Record
As AOL Real Estate previously reported, Rybolovlev, a Russian fertilizer magnate, was said to be helping to finance the massive purchase for his daughter, Ekaterina Rybolovlev. A statement released by Ekaterina Rybolovlev's representatives in December said that she plans to stay in the New York City apartment while studying at a U.S. university.
But the mantle of priciest home sale in the U.S. still belongs to Rybolovlev's Russian compatriot and fellow billionaire, Yuri Milner, who purchased a $100 million mansion in Los Altos, Calif., in March of last year. See Milner's mansion in the gallery below.
Photos from the interior and common areas of the apartment building where Rybolovlev just closed are pictured at the top and below.
- This Year's Best High-Interest Savings Accounts
- The Best States to Retire in 2022
- 7 Crucial Retirement Mistakes
- Don’t Borrow From The Bank - Borrow From Yourself
- Turn Your Home Equity Into Cash Before a Recession
- Use The Equity In Your Home To Get The Cash You Need
- Home Equity Surges: Compare Home Equity Loans
- Age 62+? Take this Quiz to Qualify for a Home Equity Conversion
- Digital Mortgage Platform Helps New Home Buyers Qualify to Buy
- 5 Best Cash Back Credit Cards For 2022
- Spend $500, Get $200 Fast With This Top Card
- 3 Cards That Can Help You Take Your Dream Vacation
- The True Story Behind "The Blind Side"
- These Are All The Hidden Hacks Of Costco
- The Largest Military Planes In The World Are A Sight To Behold