"Stop! This is a restricted area!'
The statement is the sort of warning you might expect to hear from a robot guarding a top-secret facility in your average B-grade sci-fi flick.
But some residents of a housing development in England are reportedly getting it from a robot camera that -- in the process of surveilling their communal garden -- photographs them and threatens prosecution, and they aren't pleased, The Guardian reports.
As a result, the district council in London's borough of Camden recently apologized for the surly "robo-camera," the newspaper says.
"This is a measure that is meant to tackle antisocial behavior but it is antisocial behavior," a resident of the development, Jim Jepps, told The Guardian. "If we had a man in the garden telling everybody to move on and that they were in a restricted area, we'd call the police."
The camera, activated by a motion sensor, takes flash photos of perceived intruders at night, announcing: "Stop! This is a restricted area and your photograph was just taken. We will use it to prosecute you. Leave the area now."
The device really drives its message home by delivering it in what the Camden New Journal characterizes as a " 'RoboCop' American accent."
The Camden Council originally installed the camera, made by Q Star Technologies, in order to fight "antisocial" behavior taking place on the premises, reports The Guardian, adding that the council says that it will deactivate the warning message "as soon as possible."
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- Historic Refi Rate Alert: 2.06% APR. Can you save?
- Experts Recommend to Refi Before Rates Keep Rising
- Calculate your new refi payment in minutes. See if you can save
- Home Mortgage Rates Drop Sharply This Week
- HARP Refinance Program is Over. Now What?
- Digital Mortgage Platform Helps Home Buyers Shop for Mortgages
- Pay No Interest Until Nearly 2023 With A Better Credit Card
- 6 Reasons We Call This The Best Cash Back Card of 2021
- Your Best Credit Card Offers for May 2021
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program