As if the San Francisco 49ers needed another hit, one of its most famous alumna, Joe Montana, has defeatedly cut the asking price of his stunning Calistoga, Calif., home by a whopping $14 million.
The 500-acre "Villa Montana," which hit the market in 2009 for $49 million (get it?), is now selling for a 29 percent markdown at $35 million -- proof that even NFL Hall of Famers might be fumbling in a depressed housing market and sluggish economy.
Though, looking at pictures of the spectacular home, you'd be easily fooled into thinking it would sell anyway. The sprawling 9,700-square-foot Tuscan main house sits in lush wine country and is described by Joe Cool himself as "an expression of art and architecture."
Though our friends at Curbed report that the estate lacks any "trace of a football past," it's still incredibly sports-friendly with full equestrian facilities (Montana loves horseback-riding), a basketball court, a swimming pool, a skeet-shooting range and even a bocce ball court. Inside the main house, you can enjoy some excellent Superbowl Sunday-friendly amenities -- a beer tap, pizza oven and (multiple) flat-screen HDTVs, so you won't miss a play.
For those who aren't big on sports, that's fine too -- the estate also boasts an olive farm, a spa and a 45-foot-deep pond stocked with local bass.
Avram Goldman from Pacific Union International has the listing.
The Latest from our Partners
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- Ready to Withdraw from Your Retirement Accounts? Do it in This Order
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- Are you a homeowner? Refinance rates at 1.979% APR.
- Rates Could Rise After the Fed Meets. Lock in Now.
- If You're Current or Former Military, You'd Better Read This
- Home Mortgage Rates Drop Sharply This Week
- HARP Refinance Program is Over. Now What?
- Digital Mortgage Platform Helps Home Buyers Shop for Mortgages
- Say goodbye to debt: 0% intro APR until 2022
- Get a better credit card interest rate now!
- 7 Cards With Ridiculous Cash Back
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $726k (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program