By Erika Riggs
While architect Frank Lloyd Wright dominated the Midwest with his groundbreaking design, his son, Frank Lloyd Wright Jr. -- or simply Lloyd Wright -- made his mark on architecture in Southern California.
While Lloyd Wright's homes are architecturally significant, many are culturally significant as well and housed some of the biggest up-and-coming stars from the early days on the silver screen. One of Lloyd Wright's most significant properties is his Samuel-Novarro house, currently listed on the Hollywood Hills real estate market for $4.195 million. Not only is it the former home of silent film star Ramon Novarro, but has been owned by current-day stars as well.
Like Lloyd Wright's Sowden house, the Samuel-Novarro residence is a contemporary design with blocky Mayan influences and tropical gardens.
Wright built the home in 1928 for Louis Samuel, Novarro's personal secretary and companion. However, when Novarro discovered that Samuel was embezzling funds from him in 1929, he told Samuel that he wouldn't press charges if Samuel "made it right." To make up for the financial losses, Samuel turned over his Lloyd Wright property to Novarro.
Born in Mexico, Novarro emigrated to the U.S. as a child and began in film as a dancer. After starring in a few movies, he gained national fame with his role in "Ben-Hur" and then "Mata-Hari" alongside Greta Garbo.
Upon acquiring the estate, Novarro rehired Wright to renovate and enlarge the hillside home, adding a pergola, music room, and a bedroom suite.
According to the Big Orange Landmark blog, Novarro owned the home up until the 1930s. In the 1940s, Leonard Bernstein, Jerome Robbins, Betty Comden and Adolph Green rented the home while working on the Broadway musical "On the Town."
The property then had several owners, including record producer John Carter. Actress Diane Keaton picked up the home in the early 1990s and hired celebrity designer Josh Schweitzer to remodel it. Keaton sold it a decade later.
Christina Ricci bought the property in 2005 but sold it the following year for $2,827,528.
According to the property listing, its current owner has meticulously restored the residence to its former glory. The historic three-bedroom, three-bathroom home has concrete floors and dramatic windows and skylights. Part of the property's allure is its exotic grounds, which include a partially covered pool, bamboo-lined sitting area and jasmine-covered walkway.
The Hollywood Hills neighborhood has long been a celebrity enclave -- including such recent stars as Matthew Perry and Ryan Reynolds. The median value of a Hollywood Hills home is currently $976,700.
The listing is held by Marisa Zanuck of Hilton & Hyland.
According to Zillow's mortgage calculator, a monthly payment on the Lloyd Wright Samuel-Novarro house is $15,852, assuming a 20 percent down payment on a 30-year-mortgage.
More from Zillow:
Former Penn State Coach Joe Paterno Passes Home to Wife for $1
Kitchens Reflect Celebrities Personalities, Too
Which Mortgage Is Best For You
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- Historic Refi Rate Alert: 2.06% APR. Can you save?
- Experts Recommend to Refi Before Rates Keep Rising
- Calculate your new refi payment in minutes. See if you can save
- Home Mortgage Rates Drop Sharply This Week
- HARP Refinance Program is Over. Now What?
- Digital Mortgage Platform Helps Home Buyers Shop for Mortgages
- Pay No Interest Until Nearly 2023 With A Better Credit Card
- 6 Reasons We Call This The Best Cash Back Card of 2021
- Your Best Credit Card Offers for May 2021
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program