While homeowners late on their mortgage payments may feel left out in the cold by half-hearted government relief efforts, some communities are taking matters into their own hands to save their neighbors from foreclosure. Veterans in particular seem to be on the receiving end of such communal acts of kindness.
Last week word broke that one vet recently managed to delay his home's foreclosure by garnering more than 14,000 signatures in protest of the proceedings. And this week, the CBS TV station in Los Angeles reports that an injured war hero has avoided losing his home in Costa Mesa, Calif., by receiving a flood of donations after his imminent foreclosure was reported on television.
Daniel Foster was the target of a suicide bomb attack in Afghanistan that left him with severe wounds, including a shattered face and traumatic brain injuries. He earned a Purple Heart and Silver Star for his service, but due to a misfiling by the Veterans Benefits Administration, did not receive his disability payments.
After the story about Foster's situation aired on CBS2/KCAL9, the local community rushed to his aid. One former Marine gave him $1,000, while another anonymous donor shelled out the full $12,000 that Foster needed to again become current on his loan.
In the meantime, Foster's bank has agreed to cease foreclosure proceedings while the Veterans Benefits Administration has assured Foster that his disability payments are headed his way.
While there are many heartwarming stories of communities rallying behind struggling veterans in their midst, there also appear to be a fair share of instances in which neighbors have behaved callously towards service members. One vet in Springfield, Ore., was threatened with eviction if he displayed an American flag outside his apartment, while another wheelchair-bound vet had construction of his disabled-accessible home halted by an HOA that was concerned over the house's potentially negative impact on property values.
- 7 Crucial Retirement Mistakes
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- This Year's Best High-Interest Savings Accounts
- Are You A Homeowner? Turn Your Skyrocketing Equity Into Cash
- Need Cash? Take Money Out of Your Home
- Smart Ways To Pay for a Home Renovation
- Home Mortgage Rates Drop Sharply This Week
- HARP Refinance Program is Over. Now What?
- Digital Mortgage Platform Helps Home Buyers Shop for Mortgages
- Take Control Of Your Finances With These Cards
- Spend $500, Get $200 Fast with This Top Card
- Want to Travel Practically Free? This Card Is For You
- The True Story Behind "The Blind Side"
- These Are All The Hidden Hacks Of Costco
- The Largest Military Planes In The World Are A Sight To Behold