The refinancing market is hot right now. Last week, applications were up by more than 10 percent.
But even if you can get approved by a lender--which is no easy task these days--that doesn't mean you should take whatever deal the bank offers you.
"Today Show" real estate expert Barbara Corcoran has some strong advice, particularly when it comes to avoiding extra charges at closing time.
In the video below, she explains the importance of the good faith estimate, whether it's worth using a mortgage broker and how to research potential lenders.
But the best thing you can do to protect yourself against unpleasant surprises, she says, is "bring a pushy friend with you who's going to ask the important questions that you yourself might not ask."
To which we say, Hey Barbara, want to come with us to meet our lender next Tuesday?
Barbara Corcoran: Queen of NYC Real Estate Tells All
More great videos from AOL Real Estate:
Understanding Home Mortgages
Negotiating Strategies for Home Buyers
More on AOL Real Estate:
Find out how to calculate mortgage payments.
Find homes for sale in your area.
Find foreclosures in your area.
Get property tax help from our experts.
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- Historic Refi Rate Alert: 1.99% APR. Can you save?
- Need Cash? How to Access Your Home's Equity
- Experts Recommend to Refi Before Rates Keep Rising
- Home Mortgage Rates Drop Sharply This Week
- HARP Refinance Program is Over. Now What?
- Digital Mortgage Platform Helps Home Buyers Shop for Mortgages
- Cards Charging 0% Interest Until Nearly 2023
- You Could Earn 100K Points With This Astonishing Travel Card
- Get Financially Fit with these Credit Cards
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program