The refinancing market is hot right now. Last week, applications were up by more than 10 percent.
But even if you can get approved by a lender--which is no easy task these days--that doesn't mean you should take whatever deal the bank offers you.
"Today Show" real estate expert Barbara Corcoran has some strong advice, particularly when it comes to avoiding extra charges at closing time.
In the video below, she explains the importance of the good faith estimate, whether it's worth using a mortgage broker and how to research potential lenders.
But the best thing you can do to protect yourself against unpleasant surprises, she says, is "bring a pushy friend with you who's going to ask the important questions that you yourself might not ask."
To which we say, Hey Barbara, want to come with us to meet our lender next Tuesday?
Barbara Corcoran: Queen of NYC Real Estate Tells All
More great videos from AOL Real Estate:
Understanding Home Mortgages
Negotiating Strategies for Home Buyers
More on AOL Real Estate:
Find out how to calculate mortgage payments.
Find homes for sale in your area.
Find foreclosures in your area.
Get property tax help from our experts.
- This Year's Best High-Interest Savings Accounts
- The Best States to Retire in 2022
- 7 Crucial Retirement Mistakes
- Need Cash? How to Access Your Home's Equity
- Don’t Borrow From The Bank - Borrow From Yourself
- Want Cash Out of Your Home? Here Are Your Best Options
- Home Mortgage Rates Drop Sharply This Week
- HARP Refinance Program is Over. Now What?
- Digital Mortgage Platform Helps Home Buyers Shop for Mortgages
- Spend $500, Get $200 Fast With This Top Card
- Best Travel Credit Cards Of August 2022
- Plan The Trip Of A Lifetime With This Travel Card Bonus
- The True Story Behind "The Blind Side"
- These Are All The Hidden Hacks Of Costco
- The Largest Military Planes In The World Are A Sight To Behold