Here's a big trend in Facebook gaming: Take a successful game, whittle down the gameplay, tack on some social elements and microtransactions -- then launch it on the social network and wait for coins to rain down from the heavens. At this point, we've seen socialized versions of everything from console classic Madden NFL Football to Pocket God for mobile and more recently, The Sims, one of the best selling PC games of all time.
Some of these retooled games fare better than others on Facebook, and that largely seems to depend on how the social elements are baked into the entire experience. The Sims Social does a good job at taking some basic social gaming mechanics and blending them seamlessly into a Sims experience, and I attribute its meteoric rise to the top of the social gaming charts to that (well, that plus a hefty advertising budget).
Q-Games PixelJunk Monsters Online has the potential to be a big Facebook hit, but after playing through the early version of the game, I couldn't help but wonder -- where's the social stuff? Right now, there is still no hint at what type of social elements will be included other than the marketing speak heavy "challenge other people on Facebook the world over for dominion over a stage." If that just means that your score will show up in a leaderboard next to your friends' scores, that would be a big disappointment. PixelJunk on its own is a gem of a game, but it could be that much better if the Facebook version included some form of innovative socialization. Let's hope this Facebook remix takes the path less traveled.
Play PixelJunk Monsters Online on Facebook >
- Latest mortgage news: After flirting with 6%, rates retreat
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing clock is ticking as rates rise
- The True Story Behind "The Blind Side"
- These Are All The Hidden Hacks Of Costco
- The Largest Military Planes In The World Are A Sight To Behold
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!
- Want Cash Out of Your Home? Here Are Your Best Options
- Best Refinance Rates for Summer
- Are You A Homeowner? Turn Your Skyrocketing Equity Into Cash
- Notice: cars driven less than 25 miles could pay less
- Seniors, get car insurance from $39 per month
- Qualified zip codes save big on insurance
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- TikToker shares just how cool it is to buy a drink at a Korean conv…
- Unexpected umami recipes on TikTok that use MSG
- You don’t have to wait until Prime Day — a bunch of the best Calvin Kl…
- Take Control Of Your Finances With These Cards
- Spend $500, Get $200 Fast with This Top Card
- Want to Travel Practically Free? This Card Is For You