Progressive Waste Solutions' Dividend Is Safe
Dividend investors know that it pays to follow how much of a company's money goes toward funding its payouts. A nice yield now won't matter much if the company can't keep making those payments going forward.
Here, we'll highlight a given company and its closest competitors to see just how safe their dividends are, with a little help from three crucial tools:
- The interest coverage ratio, or earnings before interest and taxes, divided by interest expense. The interest coverage ratio measures a company's ability to pay the interest on its debt. An interest coverage ratio less than 1.5 is questionable; a number less than 1 means that the company is not bringing in enough money to cover its interest expenses.
- The EPS payout ratio, or dividends per share divided by earnings per share. The EPS payout ratio measures the percentage of earnings that go toward paying the dividend. A ratio greater than 80% is worrisome.
- The FCF payout ratio, or dividends per share divided by free cash flow per share. Earnings alone don't always paint a complete picture of a business' health. The FCF payout ratio measures the percentage of free cash flow devoted toward paying the dividend. Again, a ratio greater than 80% could be a red flag.
Each of these ratios reflect dividends paid in the trailing 12 months; yields are the expected forward yield. Let's examine Progressive Waste Solutions (NYS: BIN) and three of its peers.
EPS Payout Ratio
FCF Payout Ratio
|Progressive Waste Solutions||2.3%||4.2||15.5%||26.9%|
|Waste Management (NYS: WM)||4%||4.4||65.1%||63.6%|
|Republic Services (NYS: RSG)||3%||3.5||56.9%||35.3%|
|Waste Connections (NYS: WCN)||1%||7.6||20.8%||17.3%|
Source: S&P Capital IQ.
With an interest coverage ratio of 4.2, Progressive Waste Solutions covers every $1 in interest expenses with more than $4 in operating earnings. Given that its EPS payout ratio and FCF payout ratio are below 30%, you shouldn't have to worry that Progressive Waste Solutions will need to cut its dividend anytime soon.
Another tool for better investing
Most investors don't keep tabs on their companies. That's a mistake. If you take the time to read past the headlines and crack a filing now and then, you're in a much better position to spot potential trouble early. We can help you keep tabs on your companies with My Watchlist, our free, personalized stock-tracking service.
- Add Progressive Waste Solutions to My Watchlist.
- Add Waste Management to My Watchlist.
- Add Republic Services to My Watchlist.
- Add Waste Connections to My Watchlist.
At the time this article was published FollowDan Dzombakon Twitter at@DanDzombakto check out his musings and see what articles he finds interesting. The Motley Fool owns shares of Waste Management.Motley Fool newsletter serviceshave recommended buying shares of Republic Services and Waste Management, as well as writing a covered strangle position in Waste Management. Try any of our Foolish newsletter servicesfree for 30 days. We Fools don't all hold the same opinions, but we all believe thatconsidering a diverse range of insightsmakes us better investors. The Motley Fool has adisclosure policy.
Copyright © 1995 - 2011 The Motley Fool, LLC. All rights reserved. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.