7 Shopping Dos and Don'ts for September
1. Do hit those Labor Day sales and use coupons. Extra discounts, with coupons for typically between 15% and 25% off, bring already low sales prices down even further. Check online coupon sites or your favorite retailer's websites to see what additional deals they are offering this Labor Day.
2. Do buy new bedding and towels. Last year in September, there were great deals for bedding, towels and other bed and bath products. This year should be no different. If you're starting to migrate indoors with the cooler weather, it may be good time to spruce up the nest with a new bedding set. DealNews reports discounted home items could be hot at Bed, Bath & Beyond (BBBY), Walmart (WMT) and Kohl's (KSS). (Also, keep an eye out for additional free shipping or other discounts from Kohl's, which offered a 10% discount coupon at this time last year.)
3. Do snatch up late-season summer apparel or sandals. End-of-season sales can help shoppers score great deals on clothing items, such as sandals or tee-shirts, that can easily be transitioned into early fall. Special Labor Day coupons can adding an additional discount on items that are already marked down.
4. Do accessorize your car. DealNews reports that September usually brings more deals on auto accessories like car mats, seat covers and brake pads. So if you're thinking about purchasing a new car or sprucing up your old vehicle, you might also catch a deal on the accoutrements.
5. Don't buy airline tickets yet. It may feel counter-intuitive to hold off on booking your Thanksgiving air travel, but the data shows that buyers in October could land better deals, especially from low-cost carriers like Southwest (LUV), Frontier (RJET) and Virgin America.
7. Don't buy electronics. With football season around the corner, it may be tempting to splurge on a new HDTV, but DealNews reports that prices drop significantly in October and keep getting lower through November and December. If you missed your back-to-school opportunity to buy a laptop, hold off until November to get the best deals.