Myrtle Rose, Chicago Grandmother Pilot, Gets Surprise Visit from F-16s
Not knowing that the sprightly young head of state was in town to celebrate his 50th birthday, Ms. Rose headed out on a leisurely afternoon flight without a radio before the jets suddenly – and loudly – materialized next to her and steered her back toward Mill Rose Farm Airport.
A spokesman for the North American Aerospace Defense Command told the AP that Ms. Rose was slightly shaken by the incident, saying: "Surprised was probably the right term."
Also shaken were the residents of the quiet town of South Barrington, who are somewhat unaccustomed to looking up and seeing fighter jets.
- Best Food Along America's Highways[AOL Travel]
- Shark Week: A Rigorous and Couchless Itinerary[AOL Travel]
- Eight Bed and Breakfasts With the Best Fixings[The Daily Meal]
- 16 Best Summer Attractions for Families[Budget Travel]
- How to Beat the Post-Travel Blues[Lonely Planet]