It's a near-deserted town steeped in Wild West tradition, with two jails and a saloon of gun-slinging lore to show for it. And you can stake your claim for $800,000.
That's how much it costs to buy all of Scenic (pictured above), a historic railroad town of nine residents located in the heart of South Dakota's legendary Badlands. The price is a far cry from its previous ask of $3 million -- a discount prompted by current owner Twila Merril's need to leave town for cancer treatment, according to her daughter, LeeAnn Keester.
For the money, you get a functioning gas station, convenience store, saloon, trading post and residence, along with a historic jail and 46 acres. The purchase price doesn't include full rights to the fire department and a few lots owned by long-time residents.
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- Historic Refi Rate Alert: 1.99% APR. Can you save?
- Need Cash? How to Access Your Home's Equity
- Experts Recommend to Refi Before Rates Keep Rising
- Home Mortgage Rates Drop Sharply This Week
- HARP Refinance Program is Over. Now What?
- Digital Mortgage Platform Helps Home Buyers Shop for Mortgages
- Cards Charging 0% Interest Until Nearly 2023
- You Could Earn 100K Points With This Astonishing Travel Card
- Get Financially Fit with these Credit Cards
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program