While there are plenty of downloadable versions of mahjong available for your relaxing, tile-matching needs, there are also plenty of free versions that have appeared on Facebook. One such option is King.com's Mahjong Saga, which has quickly gained popularity, climbing to a current total of almost 2 million monthly active users. This might be surprising to some though, as the game is fairly basic.
Mahjong Saga is a level-based experience, with each level of the gameplay being timed. Levels become more complicated as you go, with tiles coming in taller stacks or in intricate patterns, but the basic rules are the same: you can only make symbol or number matches with identical tiles that have at least one free side on the board, with the overall goal being to clear the board of all of the tiles.
The timing system here sees you being given a star ranking once you've finished, with more stars being available for faster completion times. There's an energy system in the game (Hearts), limiting your gameplay time in each session, but you can earn more Hearts by finishing a level with three stars. Of course, this is far easier said than done, even for someone who may be incredibly familiar with the basic mahjong gameplay. In fact, if you run out of moves in a level, you'll lose a Heart, and if you run out of available hearts, you'll fail the level outright, and will have to begin again once you've racked up enough Hearts to do so.
As you earn more and more stars and coins by completing levels, you'll unlock the ability to purchase Boosters, or power-ups of sorts, before you begin a level, similar to games like Bejeweled Blitz. For instance, the first Booster you'll unlock causes the hint timer to decrease, so matching tiles will highlight faster should you fail to make a move on your own in a specific amount of time.
As for social features, you can track your friends' scores on each level via a menu that appears before you begin, and you can also see just how many levels your friends have played by tracking their avatar on the level map (you'll receive bonuses for passing them). There are currently six different islands, or sets of levels to complete, with a seventh being shown as under construction.
For all of the game's simplicity though, it never really feels like Mahjong Saga is missing anything (except for perhaps the ability to play longer without having to wait for energy to recharge). The original mahjong gameplay is carried over faithfully here (including the nice touch of having tiles greyed out if you can't use them), so if you're looking for a bright and colorful version of the game to play without leaving the comfort of Facebook, why not give Mahjong Saga a try?
Play Mahjong Saga on Facebook -->
Are you a fan of Mahjong Saga? Do you wish the game had more social features, or do you appreciate the mostly solo experience available here? Sound off in the comments.
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!
- Do This Before Your Next Mortgage Payment (it's genius)
- How to Turn Your Home Equity into Cash. Calculate now
- $300K Refi in this Economy? 2.04% APR (15 yr)
- Notice: cars driven less than 25 miles could pay less
- Seniors, get car insurance from $39 per month
- Qualified zip codes save big on insurance
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- 4 leak-proof period panty brands to shop so accidents are a thing o…
- TikToker uses lava to cook a steak, and the results are unbelievable!
- These mini nut butter cups are easy and fun to make
- You Could Earn 70K Miles with this Top Travel Card
- Mind-Blowing Cards for Those with Excellent Credit
- Pay No Interest Until 2023 With A Better Credit Card