IRS Offers Help to Late Taxpayers at Open Houses Saturday

IRS offers tax help
IRS offers tax help

For some of us, getting a financial fresh start might start with paying back taxes. More than 1 million taxpayers had federal tax liens filed against them in 2010, a 60% increase from 2007. On Saturday, the IRS will host open houses at 74 Taxpayer Assistance Centers around the country to provide assistance with getting liens withdrawn and answer questions about ongoing issues.

When the IRS files a lien, it has the right to make a legal claim against a taxpayer's property for the amount of an unpaid tax debt. Additionally, the lien allows the agency to freeze all bank accounts and redirect payments made to the taxpayer or business to the IRS until the debt is paid in full. Credit reports also take a major hit when the government agency files a lien, knocking 100 points off an individual's credit rating.

Under changes made to collection policy this spring, liens are withdrawn when a taxpayer enters into a direct debit installment agreement.

"Sometimes taxpayers need one-on-one assistance with their tax issues," IRS Commissioner Doug Shulman said in a statement. "Our goal at these open houses is to provide that and help taxpayers move their issues toward resolution."

Your resource on tax filing
Tax season is here! Check out the Tax Center on AOL Finance for all the tips and tools you need to maximize your return.


Take Advantage of Two Education Tax Credits
The American Opportunity credit and the Lifetime Learning tax credit can make higher education costs more affordable.
Read MoreBrought to you
Can I Deduct My Computer for School on Taxes?
You may be able to get back part of the cost of that computer you're using for school on your income taxes.
Read MoreBrought to you
Bigger, Better College Tax Credit
The American Opportunity tax credit, which replaced the Hope Scholarship credit in 2009, covers more years of college and offers bigger, better benefits to more taxpaying students or their families. Here's how the American Opportunity tax credit and Lifetime Learning credit, another helpful education tax credit, can help offset the rising cost of attending college.
Read MoreBrought to you
EA vs. CPA Tax Professionals: What?s the Difference?
If you?re interested in professional help with your taxes, you might be wondering what types of specialists there are and which one you need. An enrolled agent and a certified public accountant are both tax experts, but when you should work with an EA vs CPA differs based on your needs. Here's an overview of both.
Read MoreBrought to you