Games.com Weekly Roundup: Spotlighting social games at E3 2011
- The Sims creator Will Wright is making a Facebook game, and it's not SimCity
Instead, Wright is basing his new game on Bruce Sterling's short story "Maneki Neko".
- Want to work for Marriott Hotels? Play the Facebook game first
"We had no idea there was such a demand for hotel employees, but alas, here we are, recruiting them through ... Facebook games."
- Zynga hangs on iPhone in Hanging with Friends: Fuhgettabout pen and paper
"Developed by Texas-based Zynga subsidiary Zynga with Friends, Hanging with Friends is a mobile multiplayer take on the classic two-player puzzle game Hangman."
- Playdom's City of Wonder on iPhone: Conquer the world wherever
"Playdom has released City of Wonder, it's Civilization-like empire-building Facebook game, to iOS devices. And better yet, it's absolutely free."
- The Sims Social: Yup, The Sims is finally coming to Facebook
Were you as creeped out by the debut trailer as we were? Nonetheless, it's hard not to get excited.
- Apple Game Center in iOS 5 mirrors Facebook gaming, coming this fall
"Social gaming has effectively become mobile gaming in many a developer's eye, and Apple is poised to strike the competition this fall with the new Facebook games-inspired Game Center."
- 'Arookoo: World Explorers' steps up social gaming, but stumbles on Facebook
Reader's Digest Association and Vivity Labs' create a Facebook game to complement a free iPhone app that nabs you virtual perks for real world strolls.
- E3 2011: Prime World mixes free-to-play MMO with Facebook friend interaction
"You'll be able to invite your Facebook friends to play the game with you . . . There's even a Zuma-inspired marble game for those that would prefer to match marbles than enter combat (at least temporarily)."
- E3 2011: Yoostar Playground puts you in the movies on Facebook
"With Yoostar Playground, you're really given the opportunity for your 15 minutes of fame, as the company routinely holds contests over the best videos uploaded to the service."
- Zynga celebrates FarmVille's 2nd Birthday with an explosion of items
For the full scoop, check out our FarmVille 2nd Birthday Guide.
- E3 2011: Walking Dead game gets a Facebook tie-in
"A few months ago, we learned that The Walking Dead, a hit TV series on AMC as well as a comic book series with a serious cult following, is getting the game treatment."
- Casino City, Bar World and Slot City get the axe
"[A]s a result of Zynga's recent acquisition of DNA Games (its 14th purchase in just a year!), all three of the studio's games will shut down come July 8."
- E3 2011: Fruit Ninja Frenzy takes a slice out of Facebook this summer
"In Fruit Ninja Frenzy, the same basic gameplay from the mobile version has been retained, but has been chopped (no pun intended) into 60-seconds of bite sized fruity goodness."
- E3 2011: Pet Society Vacation on iPhone takes your Facebook pet on a tropical trip
Playfish fans are definitely excited, but the catch is this iOS game won't crossover with the one on Facebook except when it comes to porting over your pet.
- John Carmack: Facebook offers the 'Walmart experience of gaming' [Interview]
"[Social games are] not a connoisseur experience, but it's important to recognize that most of what people consume in the world is not a connoisseur experience."
- E3 2011: Shooters, not social, are still king
So how's E3 treating the social games scene? Our EIC, Libe Goad, spent the week over there and left us this thoughtful piece.
- The Amazing Spider-Man's Emma Stone was hooked on FarmVille
"I got to level 42, and I wasn't doing anything else anymore, so I had to stop," Stone told ELLE.
- FrontierVille Oregon Trail becomes 'Pioneer Trail' after community vote
Not that we thought anyone could confuse the official Oregon Trail with Zynga's FrontierVille expansion on Facebook, but that's lawsuits for ya.
- Scam Alert: 'Zynga Promotions' is not RewardVille, but another scam