Shampoo Ratings: Nurture My Body Rates Best, CVS Ranks Last
GoodGuide helps consumers find healthy, green, ethical products based on scientific ratings. Its experts have rated more than 100,000 consumer goods -- including food, personal care and household products -- using three factors of increasing importance to consumers: concern for the environment, personal health and social responsibility.Since Consumer Allyteamed up with GoodGuide, we've published ratings of cold cereal, cat food, household cleaners and more.
The Health score measures a product's potential health effects on consumers. The Environment score measures a product's environmental impact as well as the company's overall policies and practices. The Society score evaluates a company's social impact, which can include treatment of workers, workplace diversity, community involvement and corporate ethics.
GoodGuide's ratings include a brief explanation for each category, and allow users to drill down into each score for more detail.
For instance, Nurture My Body Shampoo's 8.2 rating is based on:
- A Health score of 10: "This product has no ingredients that raise a health concern."
- An Environment score of 8.1: "Compared to other companies, this company scores well on reducing climate change emissions."
- A Society score of 6.6: "Compared to other companies, this company receives an above average rating on working conditions and benefits for its employees."
Conversely, CVS Color Protect Moisturizing Shampoo's 3.0 rating was based on:
- A Health score of 1.0: "This product contains one or more ingredients that raise a high level of health concern."
- An Environment score of 4.1: "Compared to other companies, this company received one of the lowest scores on water management."
- A Society score of 4.0: "The company that makes this product has a below average score in ethical policies and performance."
Below are its top-five best and worst products. In order to avoid repetition of a particular brand (Nurture My Body monopolized the top six slots), we've skipped ahead to the next best or worst brand.
The Best Shampoos
- Nurture My Body Shampoo (8.2)
- Miessence Desert Flower Shampoo (Normal To Dry Hair) (8.0)
- Sea Chi Peppermint Shampoo (7.9)
- Gourmet Body Treats Vanilla Mint Shampoo (7.8)
- Dr. Hauschka Shampoo with Macadamia and Orange (7.8)
The Worst Shampoos
- Isoplus Neutralizing Shampoo (3.5)
- Alberto VO5 Naturals Shampoo, Vanilla Blossom (3.5)
- Nexxus Simply Silver (Color Toning Shampoo) (3.5)
- St. Ives Swiss Formula Papaya Plus, Shampoo Plus Conditioner For Normal Hair (3.1)
- CVS Color Protect Moisturizing Shampoo (3.0)