Sagrada Familia Fire: Spain's Popular Attraction Hit By Arsonists
Roughly 1,500 people were evacuated from the Basilica and four were treated for smoke inhalation, the Associated Press reports.
The 45-minute fire caused "significant" damage to the sacristy, where priests store their vestments prior to Mass.
An official said tourists saw smoke coming out from inside the sacristy and alerted authorities.
Police said the suspect was arrested with a lighter and pieces of fabric which might have been used to start the fire.
Gaudi's unfinished masterpiece was consecrated as a basilica by Pope Benedict XVI in November.
- Five Discoveries to Make at a National Park[AOL Travel]
- 10 Smallest Bars in the World[Fox News]
- The 20 Best Kept Secrets of Washington, D.C.[Budget Travel]
- 10 Best Apps for Hungry (and Thirsty) Travelers[The Daily Meal]
- Visit the World's Most Majestic Forests[Sherman's Travel]