Back in January, we brought you the sad story of Shannon Johnson, a mother from Colorado who neglected her 13-month-old baby, leaving him in the tub alone while she played Cafe World and multitasked on Facebook. The baby was found lying sideways with his face under the water and couldn't be saved.
In March, Johnson pleaded guilty to the negligent death of her son. The charge can carry a sentence of up to 12 yeas in prison, but she was sentenced to just 10 years this past Friday. Technically, her crime could have been sentenced in a different manner, allowing her to escape prison time altogether, but according to the Associated Press, authorities turned down this option as to not downplay the serious nature of her crime.
Johnson has also been sentenced to five years of mandatory parole after she is ultimately released.
Do you think Cafe World is to blame for this tragedy? Should the mother have been sentenced to more time? Share your thoughts in the comments.
- Robinhood IPO: 5 risks investors should consider as shares begin tr…
- Key 30-year mortgage rate stays low, refinancing window still open
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Can you refinance with $0 out of pocket?
- Refinance rates at 2.02% APR. Calculate your rate now
- Do this before your next mortgage payment (it's genius)
- Loving the plush purse trend? Shop 5 styles for under $20 at Amazon
- Don’t miss your chance to score a pair of Reebok’s cult-favorite Club …
- TikToker shares a cool science experiment for kids that you can do in …
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!