The Tax Deadline Looms: Advice for Last-Minute Filers

Tax Deadline Time: Advice for Last-Minute Filers Americans get three extra days this year beyond the typical April 15 deadline to file their income tax returns. But those who have put off preparing their returns until the last minute may still find that they'll need to file an extension to avoid penalties if they can't get their returns in the mail by midnight Monday.

With just days to go before taxes are due, last-minute filers need to be prepared and focused to ensure their tax returns are accurate and contain all the necessary information, advises Jackson Hewitt Tax Service (JTX), which is extending its business hours nationwide to deal with the crush of last-minute questions.

"We know as the deadline approaches, many taxpayers will feel overwhelmed and won't know where to begin," says Mark Steber, Jackson Hewitt's chief tax officer. The company's staff is ready to deal with all the questions that last-minute filers so often ask, including how to determine whether they need to file an extension, and how to file one if they do.

Sponsored Links
An experienced tax preparer can be key in helping you determine whether you owe taxes, and whether or not you need to file for a six-month extension, which gives you until Oct. 17 to file your return. It's important to note, though, that filing for an extension doesn't mean taxpayers can put off paying taxes, says William P. Miller, a certified public accountant based in suburban Minneapolis.

"A late filer must estimate both state and federal taxes owed and pay them by the return due date," he says. Taxpayers will be charged interest as well as a late-filing penalty on any remaining balance that's not paid by the April 18 deadline.

For taxpayers who find themselves making a last-minute dash to an accountant or tax preparer, Jackson Hewitt offers this partial checklist of documents necessary to compile a complete return:
  • Wage Statements (Form W-2)
  • Form 1099
  • All other income amounts
  • Unemployment compensation received (Form W-2G)
  • Social Security Card(s)
  • Driver's License(s)
  • Dependents' social security numbers and dates of birth
  • Last year's federal and state tax returns; last year's state refund amount (if applicable)
  • Mortgage interest paid and real estate taxes (Form 1098)
  • Total of all cash and non-cash charitable contributions
  • Any records to support your deductions
  • Form HUD-1 or its equivalent if filing for a First-Time Homeowner Credit

Tax Tips for Real Estate Agents and Brokers

Most real estate agents and brokers receive income in the form of commissions from sales transactions. You're generally not considered an employee under federal tax guidelines, but rather a self-employed sole proprietor, even if you're an agent or broker working for a real estate brokerage firm. This self-employed status allows you to deduct many of the expenses you incur in your real estate sales or property management activities. Careful record keeping and knowing your eligible write-offs are key to getting all of the tax deductions you're entitled to.

Read More

Brought to you by

What is the Educator Expense Tax Deduction?

The Educator Expense Tax Deduction allows teachers and certain academic administrators to deduct a portion of the costs of technology, supplies, and certain training. Here’s what teachers need to know about taking the Educator Expense Deduction on their tax returns.

Read More

Brought to you by

Self-Employed Less Than a Year? How to Do Your Taxes

Have you been self-employed less than a year? If you’re just starting out, it’s possible you worked at a job earlier in the tax year before making the switch to self-employment, or you’re working multiple jobs. In this case, you may have more than once source of income you’ll need to report on your income tax return.

Read More

Brought to you by

Taxes for Grads: Do Scholarships Count as Taxable Income?

Heading off to college to broaden your horizons is exciting, but funding your education via scholarships? That's even better. Scholarships often provide a path to education that might not be feasible otherwise, which is why the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) can be generous in minimizing students' tax obligations. But sometimes scholarship money does count as income, and it’s better to find out now if your scholarship adds to your tax liability than to have a surprise later. Here’s how to decode your scholarship taxation.

Read More

Brought to you by
Read Full Story
Your resource on tax filing
Tax season is here! Check out the Tax Center on AOL Finance for all the tips and tools you need to maximize your return.

Want more news like this?

Sign up for Finance Report by AOL and get everything from business news to personal finance tips delivered directly to your inbox daily!

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.