Jennie-O Recalls Turkey Burgers Sold at Sam's Club: Salmonella in 10 States
The agency said 12 people have been sickened by salmonella hadar -- a bacteria commonly associated with poultry -- with three consumers saying they ate the turkey burgers before getting sick and hospitalized. Those three consumers were in Colorado, Ohio and Wisconsin, with the last one reporting the illness March 14. The other consumers sickened with the same bacteria strain were in Arizona, California, Georgia, Illinois, Mississippi, Missouri and Washington.No other information was available on the sickened consumers. Jennie-O, USDA and other authorities are continuing to investigate the salmonella outbreak.
Salmonella can cause a potentially life-threatening infection as well as diarrhea, stomach cramps and fever. Most susceptible to an infection are the very young, elderly and those with weakened immune systems.
Included in the turkey burger recall are 4-pound boxes of Jennie-O Turkey Store All Natural Lean White Meat Turkey Burgers. Each box has 12, one-third pound individually wrapped burgers and has a use by date of Dec 23, 2011 and lot codes of 32710 through 32780 printed on the box's side, just above the opening tear strip. The recalled turkey burgers have the UPC code of 042222 261081. The burgers were packed on Nov. 23, 2010 and sent to Sam's Club stores nationwide.
Walmart confirmed the turkey burgers were sold at Sam's Clubs.
Jennie-O told consumers not to eat the burgers, but return them to a Sam's Club store for a refund. Call Jennie-O at (800) 621-3505.
The USDA gives these tips to help prevent a salmonella infection:
- Wash hands in warm, soapy water for at least 20 seconds before and after handling raw meat. Clean kitchenware in hot, soapy water and immediately clean up any spills.
- Cook raw poultry to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F; beef and pork to 160 degrees F.
- Refrigerate raw meat within two hours of buying it -- within one hour if temperatures are over 90 degrees F. Put cooked meat in the refrigerator with two hours of cooking.