One in Five Late to Work Every Week, Lame Excuses Given
Take a good look at your co-workers. There's a very good chance that almost one in five of them will be late this week. Will it be you? According to a new CareerBuilder Canada survey, tardiness is increasing. A surprising 19 percent of workers said they arrive late to work at least once a week, up from 17 percent last year.
But wait -- there's more: 11 percent said they are late two or more times a week. Could you get away with this at your place of employment? Maybe it's a Canadian thing. Still, those with a penchant for being late should beware: 30 percent of employers said they have terminated an employee for being late.
Workers shared a variety of reasons for being tardy, such as lack of sleep (24 percent) and traffic (24 percent). Fifteen percent blamed public transportation for their tardiness, while 12 percent indicated that bad weather delayed them. Other common reasons included getting kids to school or day care, Internet use, or their spouse.
"While workers will sometimes be late due to circumstances out of their control, they need to be aware of their companies' tardiness policies," said Rosemary Haefner, vice president of human resources for CareerBuilder. "Regardless of the reason, workers who are running late should always be honest with their managers."
Hiring managers provided the following examples of the most outrageous excuses employees offered for arriving late to work:
- A bear stopped my car, broke the window, and tried to grab me.
- A prostitute stole my car keys.
- My dog ate my Blackberry.
- I ran myself over with the company truck.
- I was playing a video game and didn't want to break up the group I was playing with.
- My grandmother went missing.
- I forgot it was a workday.
- My car was inhabited by a hive of bees and I couldn't use the car for two hours until bees left.
- My cat attacked me.
- My Botox appointment took longer than expected.
- My hair was hurting my head.
- I knew I was already going to be late, so I figured I would go ahead and stop to get donuts for everyone.
- My karma was not in sync that day.
- I got hurt taking a fork out of the dishwasher.
- I wasn't late ... the company clock is wrong.
Next:Companies Hiring This Week
Related Stories from CNN Money
- 10 Things That Will be Cheaper in 2011
- Boost Your Odds of Finding a Job
- I'm 61. Should I Retire or Keep Working?