Consumer Ally to be Honored for Child Safety Reporting
The award will be presented on May 19 at a banquet in Chicago. This is the 11th year the influential group will give out the honor.Prior winners include:
- Michigan Governor Jennifer M. Granholm
- Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan
- U.S. Sen. Richard Durbin (D., Ill.)
- U.S. Rep. Bobby Rush (D., Ill.)
- U.S. Sen. Mark Pryor (D. Ark.)
- Pediatric injury prevention researcher Dr. Gary Smith
Lipka began writing about product safety in the 1990s and spent an entire year while on the staff of the Fort Lauderdale, Fla.-based Sun-Sentinel investigating the flaws in the supposed safety net for consumers.
It was during the writing of the resulting series that he first spoke to Linda Ginzel and Boaz Keysar, two University of Chicago professors whose toddler son Danny had recently died in a recalled portable crib. Their drive to fix the flaws in the system that allowed a product known to be dangerous to remain in use led to their founding of Kids In Danger.