AOL Jobs Week Resume Contest Winner: M. Mackenzie Brady
Location: Milledgeville, Ga.
Job: Currently a M.Ed. Candidate in Outdoor Education Administration
Time Unemployed: 0 months
What do you want your potential employer to know about you?
I am very interested in beginning my post-graduate outdoor education career in May within a setting that values creativity and positive energy. My background provides strong evidence of successful working relations in many outdoor and administrative environments, all of which were under ever-changing conditions. I am confident my education and work experiences have prepared me well.
I am an ambitious woman working towards my M.Ed. in Kinesiology with a focus on Outdoor Education Administration. In alignment with my interests regarding safety and risk management, my Master's Project surrounds the use of risk and challenge in adventure programs. I am focusing on the idea that facilitator-participant briefings regarding social-psychological risks and fears can close the gap between a participants' perceived risk and competence and actual levels of risk and competence, which will in turn increase participation. The capstone project for all of this includes a process and outcome assessment of an adventure activity. Essentially, I support the idea that individuals' participation should not be limited by their fear of the unknown, or by their fear in being surrounded by peers. I am confident in my ability to foster a positive learning environment through which outdoor program participants will have the ability to see their growth that will be transferable throughout other areas of their lives. As a fast learner, I am ready to take in new information and apply it throughout my entire knowledge base, administratively and field-related.
Looking to obtain a meaningful position through which I can learn and grow while also working towards greater objectives within the organization.
Georgia College and State University, Milledgeville, Ga. anticipated May 2011
- Master of Education Degree in Outdoor Education Administration
Salem College, Winston-Salem, N.C. May 2009
- Bachelor of Arts Degrees in American Studies and Sociology
CPR / AED for Adult: Oxford, Miss.
American Heart Association, Dec. 2010
Wilderness First Responder: Oxford, Miss
Stonehearth Open Learning Opportunities (SOLO), Dec. 2010
Epinephrine, Milledgeville: Ga.
American Red Cross, Oct. 2010
Colorado Rafting Guide, Fort Carson, Colo.
Fort Carson Adventure Programs and Education (APE), May 2010
Standard First Aid Certification, Macon, Ga.
American Red Cross, May 2010
Canoeing Instructor, Milledgeville, Ga.
American Canoe Association (ACA), Oct. 2009
Caving Trip Leader, Pettijohn's Cave, Ga.
Landmark Learning, Oct. 2009
Georgia College, Logistical Coordinator for Academic Trips, Milledgeville, GA, 2010-Present
- Assistant instructor for climbing, caving, whitewater canoeing and sea kayaking courses; responsible for academic course logistics, food pantry management, with market planning and implementation of promotional materials, monitoring undergraduate students' degree completion, administrative duties within the office, and training of Academic Assistant.
Outdoor Center at Georgia College, Challenge Course Facilitator, Milledgeville, GA, 2009-Present
- Teaching appropriate sequences of skills, safety procedures, and equipment management, providing appropriate levels of supervision to participants, and adjusting program design and specific activities according to client intake information and ongoing assessment.
Fort Carson Adventure Programs & Education, Outdoor Recreation Aide, Fort Carson, CO, Summer 2010
- Planned, marketed, and implented numerous programs a day which included challenge course, mountain biking, kayaking, indoor and outdoor rock climbing, and day/overnight rafting on the Class III+ Arkansas River; edited policy and procedure manual; recorded footage of rafting programs for future marketing videos; maintained challenge course on Base; organized the ordering of new participant PFDs; attended various clinics in order to gain more knowledge of the surrounding area; and participated in administrative functions when not working programs.
Georgia College, Academic Technical Assistant, Milledgeville, GA, 2009-2010
- Assisted with whitewater canoeing, flatwater canoeing, sea kayaking, and snorkeling courses; managed academic database for B.S. and M.Ed. in compliance with accreditation standards and degree requirements; revised policy and procedure documents; updated Department of Outdoor Education web page; as well as assisted Outdoor Education faculty with research and publication initiatives.
Nantahala Outdoor Center, Whitewater Rafting and Kayaking Guide, Hot Springs, NC, Summers 2008/2009
- Responsible for care and safety of ~15 participants daily while guiding them on Class II-IV+ rivers, which included the French Broad, Ocoee, Pigeon and Nantahala.
Salem College Student Activities, Recreational Programming Internship, Winston-Salem, NC, 2009
- Developed a formal outdoor program that included 3-4 trips/month, created handbook, educated students about the outdoors, lead students in outdoor activities, and formed a trip/facility cooperative with neighboring Wake Forest University.
Great Outdoor Provision Company, Sales Associate, Winston-Salem, NC, 2008-2009
- Involved in customer service, outfitted customers with the proper gear needed for outdoor adventures, and attended clinics in order to broaden my knowledge of the outdoors.
Salem College Society of Ramblers, Program Chair, Winston-Salem, NC, 2008-2009
- Started club that included organized hiking trips and other outdoor adventures for Salem College students.
YMCA Camp Cheerio, Support Staff, Roaring Gap, NC, Summer 2007
- Lifeguarded around pool and lakefront area, instructed flat water canoeing and kayaking, assisted with climbing wall and ziplining activities, and helped cabin counselors with campers, girls-only and coed groups aged 7-15, in all aspects of camp life.
Association of Outdoor Recreation and Education (AORE), Keystone, Colo.
Student Attendee, Nov. 2010
Wilderness Risk Management Conference (WRMC), Colorado Springs, Colo.
Conference Representative, Oct. 2010
Peter Terbush Memorial Leadership Summit, Gunnison Valley, Colo.
Single-Pitch Rock Instructor Course, June 2010
American Canoe Association, Cañon City, Colo.
Swiftwater Rescue Course, May 2010
Georgia College and State University, Milledgeville, Ga.
American Canoe Association Workshops, Fall 2010
Nantahala Outdoor Center, Bryson City, N.C.
Rafting Guide School, March 2008
Peter Terbush Memorial Leadership Summit Climbing Scholarship, Gunnison, Colo.
Western State College of Colorado, June 2010
American Canoe Association Whitewater Open Canoe Downriver Nationals, French Broad River, N.C.
Second Place, C2Mix, July 2008
If you have a job lead for Mackenzie, please contact her at about.me/MBrady