Acid Spill Closes Part Of Vegas Strip

A hotel visitor was sent to the hospital and a section of the Las Vegas Strip was closed for several hours Thursday due to an acid leak outside the Wynn resort.

Approximately 200 gallons of sulfuric acid leaked just after 8 a.m. when a pipe broke as a contractor was delivering the material at the entrance of the casino, authorities tell the Las Vegas Review-Journal.

The inflammable chemical was being unloaded for use in the hotel's "Lake of Dreams" water spectacle, which features a giant, singing frog perched on top of a screen set over a lake that dances with color.

According to Clark County spokeswoman Stacey Welling, paramedics took one man who slipped and fell in a puddle of the acid to a local hospital. Welling maintains the man was hurt before police and firefighters quarantined the area. The man is now in stable condition.

Police say cool temperatures meant there was "minimal risk" of the acid liquid and fumes spreading, but still closed a section of the strip for cleanup. Northbound traffic was stopped at Spring Mountain Road and southbound traffic at Circus Circus Drive. Westbound traffic on Fashion Show Drive was also stopped.

Although most of the chemical had been contained by 9 a.m., the streets did not reopen until around noon.

Read Full Story

From Our Partners