Slice by Slice: The Best Pizza Parlors of 2010
Naturally, Chicago and Brooklyn both made the list, but the top joints also includes parlors in unexpected places such as Mount Vernon, New York and Boca Raton, Florida. Agranoff and his team visited about 500 pizza places in 25 states this past year.
The parlor to receive top honors on the 2010 list is Pizzeria Bianco in Phoenix, Arizona.
"The ingredients from start to finish is what makes Pizzeria Bianco the best," says Agranoff, who made repeated visits to the place.
"The crust at Bianco really stood out as one of the best in the country. I am known to leave some crust over from time to time, but this was not the case at Biano," he says, recalling how "the fruitful olive oil seeped into the section where the cheese meets the crust."
And what distinguishes the rest of the pizza parlors that made the top 10? Agranoff says it is always fresh ingredients, excellent flour and quality olive oil. Agranoff and his team would know: they only eat plain pie with no toppings in order to accurately compare pizzas.
"It's about quality in, quality out," he explains, a lesson taught to him early in life by a friend's father who owned a local shop in Long Island. Agranoff started making pies during the off hours, and soon found he was able to easily discern whether or not pizza shops were using sub-bar ingredients.
"I think Pizza is loved by so many American's because it has been a staple of American society for so long. Few other types of cuisine can be found in almost any strip malls, or downtowns like pizza," says Agranoff.
Top 10 Best Pizza Parlors in the U.S. 2010:
01. Pizzeria Bianco, Phoenix, AZ
02. Johnny's Pizza, Mount Vernon, NY
03. Sally's Apizza, New Haven, CT
04. Tacconelli's Pizza, Philadelphia, PA
05. Great Lake Pizza, Chicago, IL
06. Lucali's Pizza, Brooklyn, NY
07. L&B Spumoni Gardens, Brooklyn, NY
08. Buddy's Pizza, Detroit, MI
09. Frank Pepe's Pizza, New Haven, CT
10. Tucci's Pizza, Boca Raton, FL
- Hotel Says It Regrets 11M Christmas Tree[AOL Travel]
- Air India Plane Plunges 7,000 Feet During Pilot's Bathroom Break[Huffington Post]
- Winter Cheer: 15 Fantastic Photos from America's Cold Spots[National Geographic]
- 6 Ways to Survive Holiday Travel[Reader's Digest]
Photo, Craig Agranoff