Should You Convert to a Roth 401(k)?

Piggy bank marked 401K
Piggy bank marked 401K

Do you or don't you want to convert to the Roth 401(k) or a 403(b) by the end of 2010?

That's the hot retirement-planning topic of the year for anyone, especially those on the verge of retirement.

Timing-wise, the biggest attraction to converting is being able to spread the taxes you'll have to pay over two years -- 2011 and 2012 -- instead of having to cough up all that money at once. It's a one-time deal from Congress and the IRS, designed to encourage you to make the switch.