How to Keep Toxic Mold Out of Your House

Mold can appear in any home, even those of the rich and famous. Take former CNN anchor Campbell Brown, for example. She had to flee her home and live in a hotel for months last year after finding mold on the wall of her New York apartment. The mold was so toxic that it woke her 14-month-old son at night with nasty coughing attacks. (She just moved last month to a new place, Tribeca, that cost her $4.65 million and is hopefully mold-free.)

Mold is a part of nature. In the great outdoors, molds are necessary for breaking down dead organic matter. "But mold can become a problem when it makes its way inside your home," says Susan Lilliard-Roberts, founder of the Mold Help Organization. If left unattended, mold can cause allergic reactions, asthma and respiratory infections

Here's what you need to know about mold, along with Lilliard-Robert's expert advice for keeping it out of your home.