Masked Gunmen Hold Up Cruise Ship Tourists in St. Kitts
The vacationers from the Celebrity Mercury ship were visiting Brimstone Hill Fortress, a popular park, when robbers relieved them of their cash and cameras. According to Associated Press, Park manager Joseph Woodley told local radio the robbers blocked the road with a fallen tree and then emerged from the bushes to rob the tourists traveling by bus. The gunmen then disappeared into the woods.
A statement issued by Celebrity Cruises insists none of the passengers were injured and "the guests returned to the ship unharmed."
"The affected guests have been contacted by our Guest Care Team to offer assistance, if necessary," reads the statement. There is no word on whether or not the guests have been compensated for their troubles.
The passengers were part of a 12-night Caribbean cruise that departed Baltimore, Maryland on November 8th.
Local police are investigating the incident. The cruise company has since cancelled the shore excursion, called "Essential St. Kitts," pending the outcome of the investigation.
Photo by Ed Yourdon on flickr.
- Top 6 Black Friday Travel Deals[AOL Travel]
- Powerless Cruise Ship Finally Reaches San Diego[Huffington Post]
- 10 More Things Your Flight Attendant Won't Tell You[Reader's Digest]
- 2010 Photo Contest Winners & Viewer's Favorites (Amazing Pics)[National Geographic]
- World's Most Beautiful Lakes (Top 10 Picks)[Budget Travel]