Over the past year, Facebook gaming addiction has turned into a hot-button topic as we've been bombarded with news headlines about mothers neglecting their children while playing FarmVille and other games. Studies have also shown that fifth of all social gamers consider themselves hooked on these games, treating it as their drug of choice to escape reality.
There is little to no empirical evidence of psychological addiction to social games or games in general, the American Medical Association says, but when these sometimes shocking stories start to make headlines, it's hard not to wonder if there's more to the story.
If this is the case, who's to blame? Some experts point to the games' creators for creating games designed to get players hooked, others cite personal responsibility as the answer.
We'll let you draw your own conclusions, but take a look at how the alleged epidemic has spread over the past year:
Teens 'Addicted' to FarmVille; We Are Too
Nurses Ditch Patients for FarmVille
Google Real-Time Search reveals rampant FarmVille addiction
De-motivational posters designed to curb FarmVille addiction
Addicted to FarmVille! Dr. Phil scolds mom for tending to crops, not family
FarmVille freak: Bulgarian politician fired for farming on the job
When the local news looks at "Farmville addiction"
FarmVille freak hooks up computer to treadmill
ABC's Good Morning America asks, 'Why are women obsessed with FarmVille?'
Social game-addicted mother neglects children, starves dogs to death
Facebook users: 55% play social games, 19% say they're addicted
'Social games are designed to be addictive,' says internet rehab founder
Newsweek rates Facebook's 'most addictive games', the most fun epidemic in years
FarmVille-addicted mom shakes baby to death
What do you think of Facebook gaming addiction? Is this "addiction" the real deal or can social gaming just become a dangerous habit for some unfortunate folks? Speak your mind in the comments. Add Comment.
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!
- Do This Before Your Next Mortgage Payment (it's genius)
- How to Turn Your Home Equity into Cash. Calculate now
- $300K Refi in this Economy? 2.04% APR (15 yr)
- Notice: cars driven less than 25 miles could pay less
- Seniors, get car insurance from $39 per month
- Qualified zip codes save big on insurance
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- 5 delicious takes on TikTok’s ricotta toast trend
- 5 creative ways to plate ‘boring’ foods so they look amazing: ‘Do you …
- Working from home for good? Get a top-rated desk on sale for more than…
- You Could Earn 70K Miles with this Top Travel Card
- Mind-Blowing Cards for Those with Excellent Credit
- Pay No Interest Until 2023 With A Better Credit Card