Ski Resort First to Open for Winter - Already
About a dozen skiers and boarders, mostly employees, made the first run, and the trail opened to the public with a foot of snow, an unusual achievement a week before Halloween.
"Checkmate, Mother Nature. Sunday River wins," the Newry, Maine resort bragged in an announcement.
Sunday River has been the first ski resort in the East Coast to open four years in a row, but says this is the first time it's beat the rest of the nation.
"It goes to show the magnitude of our snowmaking system and level of commitment towards making this happen," says Brent Larson, Sunday River's vice president of Mountain Operations.
The resort turned on 74 snowguns and kept them blazing, in creating its early coverage. Plans were to stay open for a few days and continue to make snow as weather permits, with a seven-days-a-week opening coming later.
- Hamster Causes Plane Evacuation [AOL Travel]
- Top 10 Drivers' Drives Around the World[National Geographic]
- Flight Attendants Dance to 'Safety Dance' (Video)[Huffington Post]
- 50 Secrets Your Pilot Will Never Tell You[Reader's Digest]
- 10 Places That Don't Exist, But Should! (Photos)[Lonely Planet]
Photos, Sunday River