Fabric protector spray recalled over dangerous fumes
On its websites announcing the recall, Claire-Sprayway warned consumers there could be a risk of serious injury if the spray isn't used in a properly ventilated area. The company also apologized to its customers for any inconvenience. The company said it received 36 reports of consumers being overexposed to the aerosol spray, with 34 saying they coughed, wheezed or had shortness of breath. One consumer suffered a serious injury.
The fabric protector was sold nationwide at automotive supply, car detailing, upholstery, textiles, furniture and fabric stores from January 2005 to August 2010 for about $10. The CPSC said about 73,500 cans are being recalled.
Included in the recall are the 13.5-ounce can with a product code on the bottom. The fabric protector was sold under the brand names:
- Sprayway No. 980 Industrial Fabric Protector
- 3D Fabric Protector
- Auto Brite Fabric Protector Guardatela
- Auto Magic Fabric Protector No. 91-S
- Crystal Aire Products #680 Fabric Protector
- Falcon Labs Spotless Fabric Protector
- Quiltprotect Spray
- Robbie's Fabric Shield
- Showcar Fabric Protector
- Simoniz System 5 Stain Sentry Fabric Protector