Poisonous Snake Bites Man at Orlando Resort

A Rhode Island man was in a hospital intensive care unit after being bitten by a poisonous snake at the JW Marriott Orlando Grande Lakes resort.

Eric Geisman, 45, of Pawtucket, R.I., encountered the cottonmouth water moccasin while taking an early evening stroll near a pond at the resort, reports the Orlando Sentinel.

Geisman and his wife were on a walking path near the hotel's pool and herb garden when he stepped on the snake, says his sister-in-law, Lynn Arruda.

She says he was bitten on the left side of his ankle, and that his leg became swollen.

Geisman was taken by ambulance to Orlando's Dr. P. Phillips Hospital, and was in stable condition.

"He's in a lot of pain. We're not sure what to expect," Arruda says.

The snake was captured and killed by a fire rescue crew and taken to the hospital, where it was confirmed to be a water moccasin, a poisonous species common to wetlands in the Southeast.

Arruda says the snake was more than 2 ½ feet long and was brown, with a "whiteish-yellow underbelly."

She says Geisman was given doses of anti-venom, but his family was uncertain about his prognosis.

Read Full Story