Philadelphia Is Now Largest U.S. City With Casino
The SugarHouse Casino has opened on the Delaware River waterfront in the City of Brotherly Love.
The casino has 1,600 slot machines and 40 gaming tables. It's the 10th gambling hall to open in Pennsylvania.
"SugarHouse is the place to be in Philadelphia," says General Manager Wendy Hamilton. "Our doors are open."
For the grand opening, lawmakers and officials were on hand praising the casino as created about 900 jobs and other economic benefits for the city.
With its 1.55 million population, the casino moves past Detroit (population 910,000) as the largest city to have casino gambling in the U.S.
Community protests and litigation stalled the Philadelphia casino project and has not quite gone away.
The grass-roots Casino-Free Philadelphia group held an opening day protest and unveiled a mural that shows what they'd like to see on the waterfront instead – a playground for children. The group says more anti-casino action is planned.
Meanwhile, there are also plans for a second Philadelphia casino.
- Midair Crash Narrowly Averted[AOL Travel]
- First Look: Halloween Horror Nights At Universal[AOL Travel]
- Top 10 Fall Trips Across the U.S. (Photos)[Lonely Planet]
- Plane Lands on Highway During Atlanta Rush Hour[Huffington Post]
- The Real Transylvania! (Photos)[National Geographic]
Photo, Valstula, flickr