How do I get out of a home I can't afford? Help Me WalletPop!

Jean Chatzky
Jean Chatzky

If you're having a problem with a business,

Consumer Ally can help. Write us at

Q. We bought a house in Tennessee, and we are deep into debt. We want to know if we can just ask the bank to take back the house? And would we owe the bank money? We have two car payments we are having trouble paying, we are up to date on all our bills, but have nothing left to live on.

We bought the house this past November and received the tax credit. How does that work? Does that have to be repaid too? We are planning to meet with someone from consumer credit counseling, but we are so stressed from our bills. We are both retired, and we already filed bankruptcy in 2005.

Lenoir City, Tenn.