Poll concludes Americans are getting ruder

Boy sticking tongue out at cameraIn a recent survey of American adults, 69% felt that Americans are becoming ruder and less civilized. (You might wonder if the other 31% threatened to beat the stuffing out of the telephone pollster asking the question, but that was not the case.)

The phone poll, by Rasmussen Reports, found that only 14% of the responders felt that our countrymen and women were kinder and gentler; 17% were undecided. That's better than last year when 75% of respondents said they felt Americans were getting more boorish.

The phone survey, which was conducted in mid-August, also found that what is considered rude behavior is starting to change. This year, 43% of adults said it was rude if someone talks on their cell phone while sitting next to them. Last year, 51% of respondents found the action rude.

Of those surveyed, 62% felt that we are ruder to salespeople and wait staff than we were ten years ago, while 57% believed that salespeople and wait staff are, in turn, more rude to customers.

If they'd asked me, I could have suggested other examples of rudeness, including

  • People who come to work sick
  • Left lane slowpokes
  • Shirtless, pot-bellied men
  • Smokers who dump their ashtrays in parking lots
Other interesting findings from the study:

  • Adults over 50 are more likely to consider talking on a cell phone in public to be rude behavior.
  • Only 32% of those surveyed believe that the U.S. should have a law similar to one in France that makes it a crime to verbally or psychologically abuse one's spouse.
  • More men than women have had occasion to call someone out on their rude public behavior.
  • 65% of respondents believe the country is "headed down the wrong track."
What would you cite as examples that the U.S. is or is not becoming a ruder country?

This story was corrected on Wednesday, Sept. 1 to reflect the results of the 2010 survey.
Read Full Story

Can't get enough personal finance tips?

Sign up for Finance Report by AOL and get everything from consumer news to money tricks delivered directly to your inbox daily!

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.