Jokers Fake Great White Shark In Massachusetts
There have been several real great white sightings off Massachusetts this summer, the creatures so close that beaches have been closed at times, including on Cape Cod. One 14-foot shark even wandered right into the harbor in the town of Chatham.
But this week's sighting off Somerset was not a real shark fin, as reported in several 911 calls, but rather of Styrofoam cut into a fin shape, wrapped in gray duct tape, and weighted down, police tell the Herald News of Fall River.
It was unknown who was responsible for the prank.
Responding police were less than amused, however, noting the hoax could have caused issues had there been a real emergency at the time.
- Great Whites Close Cape Cod Beaches, Again[AOL Travel]
- Surfer Killed by Shark in Australia[AOL Travel]
- Obama Goes for a Swim During Gulf Vacation (Great Photo)[Huffington Post]
- American Tourist Stabbed to Death at Phuket Resort[Huffington Post]
- Top 10 Beach Cities Around the World (Photos)[National Geographic]
Photo, hermanusbackpackers, flickr