"You get a cow. You can click on it. In six hours, you can click it again. Clicking earns you clicks."
Such is the basic description of Cow Clicker, a new Facebook game that definitely delivers what its title promises -- the ability to click on a cow. Yes, there are a few other social game trappings thrown in there -- you can invite neighbors whose cow clicks count towards your total, and you can purchase prettier cows with in-game "mooney" -- but there's really little besides the titular cow clicking to this simple parody game.
Cow Clicker Creator and Georgia Tech professor Ian Bogost describes Cow Clicker as "Facebook games distilled to their essence" and in a way he's right. Read that description from the first paragraph again. Replace "a cow" with "crops," and "clicks" at the end with "coins" and you have a bare bones description of the basic gameplay in Facebook mega-hit Farmville. The same process can be applied to describe countless other popular social games. Cow Clicker even lets you spend mooney to skip the six-hour wait for more click opportunities, mimicking the way many other social games let you spend in-game money to avoid having to wait for rewards.
But Bogost's simple parody utterly misses the point of social gaming in some major ways. Sure, in strict gameplay terms, there's little to differentiate Cow Clicker from countless popular social games. But for million of players, the appeal of social games isn't in the gameplay, but in the opportunity for world building and role-playing.
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing window is still open
- Robinhood IPO: 5 risks investors should consider as shares begin tradi…
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- How to Turn Your Home Equity into Cash. Calculate Now.
- Crush Your Mortgage With This Government Program
- $300K Refi in this Economy? 2.01% APR (15 yr)
- These flavorful recipes are perfect for spicy food lovers
- These Halloween press-on nails are so simple to apply — and they glow …
- Swap out your rotten jack-o’-lanterns with these simple ‘jug-o’-lanter…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Refinance Rates Remain Historically Cheap
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!