Strong resumes for operations professionals focus on proving how the candidate can save time and money and increase productivity. John's resume uses action-oriented language and strong accomplishments to demonstrate his ability to do all of these things successfully.
Less content is dedicated to explaining job tasks since this information does little to differentiate a candidate. Every bullet point demonstrates the impact John's actions have had on the operation and metrics are used whenever possible to prove the extent of that impact. This resume was submitted by Karen Bartell of Best- in -Class Resumes.
500 Verdana Lane • Clifton, CO 81520
John.Simmons@email.com • 970.555.1212 (C)
Senior Management Profile
Supply Chain / Commodities ♦ Global Operations ♦ Strategic Business Development
Twelve-year rapid progression for excellence reducing costs, increasing productivity, driving innovation, and stimulating bottom-line growth for Fortune 500 organizations within challenging markets and economic conditions.
Hand-selected to lead major corporate initiatives for reputation as a problem solver, cross-functional team coordinator, consensus-builder, and driver of double-digit revenue and profit performance.
|Operations Management||Teambuilding & Leadership||Multi-Site Operations|
|Strategic Planning||Materials Management||Quality Assurance/Control|
|Lean Manufacturing||Purchasing & Procurement||Mergers & Acquisitions|
|Spend Management||Cost Reduction/Containment||New Product Introductions|
|Consensus Building||Global & Strategic Sourcing||Budgeting & Forecasting|
|Negotiations||Customer Relation Management||Logistics Management|
|Process Redesign||Just-In-Time Manufacturing||Procedure Development|
MANUTECH – Amherst, CO 1998-Present
$30.5B global manufacturing and technology leader with 8 divisions offering diverse products, services, and solutions.
Manutech Industrial Automation, Amherst, CO (2008-Present)
Business Group Commodities Manager
Earned fast-track progression through parent company to current role for this $4B global leader
in Industrial Automation Solutions with 39 manufacturing facilities throughout North America,
Europe, China, and India, and products and solutions across diverse markets.
Lead Global Supply Chain planning for 7 divisions. Coordinate with Executive Management
Teams to develop strategic plans to meet global expansion, key account / sales, and low-cost country
sourcing targets. Leverage $430M in electrical and mechanical spend across multiple consumer
segments and large-scale OEM projects. Hold dotted-line responsibility for 20+ Divisional Commodity Managers and global supply (products and solutions).
- Negotiated low-cost supplier contracts in line with foreign-based growth targets; generated $4M in first-year cost savings through global sourcing initiatives, business case development, corporate consensus-building, and cross-functional / geographical team coordination and development.
- Cut inventory by more than half and improved on-time delivery to nearly 100% by consolidating, centralizing, and standardizing the distribution and purchase order process.
- Saved approximately $2M in trade working capital on a $40M deal through skillful supplier negotiations incorporating inventory reduction measures, extended payment plans, and favorable freight terms.
Sherman North America - Manutech Network Power, Bristol, CO (2000-2008)
Strategic Commodities Group Manager (2006-2008)
Progressed through a series of increasingly responsible positions to Group Manager role for this $2.3B global leader in business critical power and cooling technology systems serving the telecommunications, utility, and IT sectors, with 14 manufacturing facilities across North America, Europe, China, and India.
Led 3-member team of Global Commodity Managers responsible for $350M in purchases throughout North America and Mexico-based facilities. Managed $350K budget with
burden costs. Presented senior management with quarterly updates on global commodity
trends, cost containment initiatives, and new product introductions.
- Saved $24M in material costs through skillful negotiations and reverse auction; leveraged dual sourcing methods to convert savings to bottom-line profit.
- Wrote and executed NDA authorizing corporate-supplier knowledge sharing and joint reviews, leading to design and patenting of cutting-edge technology.
- Optimized Liebert's spend management and competitive position by fostering Team engagement in the development of interdepartmental relationships.
Purchasing Manager (2004-2006)
Provided oversight of 10 Supplier Manager direct reports across the U.S. and Philippines.
Managed on-time delivery, quality, and key account fill rate performance. Presented monthly
reports to senior-level management on cost, margin, supplier, and risk mitigation performance,
plans, and initiatives.
- Improved on-time delivery from 70% to over 90%, shifting entire unit from passive to profit-driven performance through initiation and formalization of improved supplier, forecast, and capacity planning reviews.
- Improved failure detection methods by establishing and enhancing data compilation and lot review procedures.
- Enhanced communications with Cost Accounting and Finance departments, steering gross and operating profit projections closer to budget targets, and increasing the Plant's status with parent company.
Material Planning Manager (2002-2004)
Promoted for successful role as Acquisition Planning Manager. Led direct report team of 5
Material Planners and an Analyst in the flow of raw materials and global supply chain into
company's North American plant. Managed $400K budget including burden costs. Optimized inventory
turnover to meet budgetary cash flow targets. Presented monthly progress reports to executive
- Captured $900K in inventory reduction cost savings and improved worker morale by restructuring operations and automating processes.
- Established vital link between Material Planning and Sales departments to ensure timely shipping and accommodation of key account (e.g. Xerox, IBM) demands.
- Coordinated with IT to reduce incidence of rush orders by more than 10% and improve time management planning by more than 25% through development of effective new production codes.
Acquisition Planning Manager (2/2002-12/2002)
Hand-picked by Senior VP of Manufacturing to build team of Material Planners at company's
Mexico site relative to corporate acquisition. Tasked with implementation of MRP systems,
procedures, and linkage between production and supply base. Hired 12 team members, with
direct oversight of 5 and dotted-line responsibility for 7. Managed $145M budget.
- Coordinated with Material and Production Managers to build common platform to drive production BOM's and capacity planning tools, reducing delivery lead-times to 2 weeks and eliminating 4+ week back logs.
- Effectively cut 30% of previous supply base by consolidating cross-functional requirements into single PSL; favorably resolved $6M in excess & obsolete material claims despite limited records and documentation.
- Successfully transitioned 132 suppliers into new company and averted service interruptions despite mass shortages, language barrier difficulties, scheduling back logs, and other transition-related burdens.
Served in prior roles with Manutech as Operations Analyst at their Sherman North America division, and Senior Buyer for the Stone Master Bearings Unit of Manutech Power Transmission Division in Addison, IL
Education and Credentials
|M.B.A. in Supply Chain and Operations Management||B.S. in Business Administration|
|University of Colorado – Boulder, CO||Platt College – Aurora, CO|
Professional Development & Certifications:
Certified Purchasing Manager (CPM) • Certified Production and Inventory Control Manager (CPIM)
Green Belt Certified • Communicative Manager Development Program