Kansas Unemployment Guide

If you've recently lost your job in Kansas, you may be eligible for Kansas Unemployment Insurance benefits. This is a guide to filing your claim for Kansas unemployment benefits. Since each situation may have its own unique circumstances, make sure you check with the contact numbers and websites listed below to make sure you get the maximum benefits you can claim.

Filing for Unemployment:

Unemployed Kansas workers can file an initial claim for unemployment benefits one of three ways:

  1. Online - using the www.GetKansasBenefits.com site (M – F, 7:00am to 7:00pm)
  2. Telephone – (M – F, 7:00am to 7:00pm)

  • Kansas City – 913-596-3500
  • Topeka – 785-296-4337
  • Wichita – 316-383-9947
  • Outside Local Area – 800-292-6333

File your claim right away after you've stopped working – don't delay. Your claim starts the week you file. Unemployment benefits are not retroactive, so if you delay you may lose benefits.

When you file your initial unemployment benefit application, you will need the following information:

  • Name, address & phone
  • SSN & date of birth
  • Name, address, phone number and dates worked for all employers for the past 18 months
  • Reason for leaving each job over the past 18 months
  • County of residence
  • Driver's License
  • If you were discharged from the military in the last 18 months, you'll need Copy #4 of your DD Form 214
  • If you were a Federal employee in the last 18 months, you'll need SF 8 or SF 50 (or W2 or pay stubs)
  • If you are not a US Citizen, you'll need your Alien Registration Number, expiration, and type

After you apply, you will be mailed an "Unemployment Insurance Determination", listing registered wages, and estimated weekly benefit amount.

-- Find jobs in Kansas

Filing Your Weekly Claim:

The maximum Kansas unemployment weekly benefit is approximately $420 per week, and the minimum is 25% of the maximum weekly benefit allowance. Federal Additional Compensation (FAC) currently adds an additional $25 per week to your benefit payments. Weekly benefits are calculated based on your base wages (considers the first four of the last five quarters), and number of dependents.

You can file your weekly claim form online, or over the telephone:

  1. Online – File your continued claim application online at www.GetKansasBenefits.com
  2. Telephone – (M 12:00am to Midnight; T – F, 7:00am to Midnight; Sat 9:00am to Midnight; Sun 12:00am to 6:00pm)

  • Kansas City – 913-287-6913
  • Topeka – 785-296-4337
  • Wichita – 316-269-0633

Filing weeks run Sunday through Saturday.

Beware of the Waiting Week. Your first week of benefits is called a "waiting week" – this means you will not be paid benefits during your first week of eligibility, but you must still file a claim to get credit for waiting.

Pending determination of unemployment eligibility, you will be sent a Citibank Visa debit card. If you prefer direct deposit, you can arrange this through Citi after you receive your debit card.

You should expect payments the next business day after receipt of your weekly claim filing.

Unemployment Benefits:

Health Insurance benefits may be available to you through the Health Coverage Tax Credit - Check the COBRA Subsidy Fact Sheet (PDF), COBRA and The IRS for details.

Career services and training assistance are available through KansasWorks.

Filing for extensions:

If an extended benefit period is declared, based on unemployment rates, and it appears that you qualify, you will be mailed an application to extend your unemployment benefits.

Ending Unemployment:

When you return to work, file for credit for the remaining few days you didn't work. Then, just stop filing - when you stop weekly filing, your unemployment benefits automatically end.


For any questions, reach the unemployment contact center at:

  • Kansas City – 913-596-3500
  • Topeka – 785-575-1460
  • Wichita – 316-383-9947
  • Outside Local Area – 800-292-6333

The office is busiest on Monday – Wednesday. The best days to call with questions are Thursdays or Fridays.

Make sure to keep a copy of your work search record. You may be required to supply copies to the Unemployment Contact Center.

-- Find jobs in Kansas

Read Full Story