Job Outlook: Seattle, WA
The Seattle region, including Tacoma and Bellevue, is the 15th largest US metropolitan area.
Unemployment Rate of the Seattle Metro Area:
Seattle's unemployment rate was 8.3% according to April 2011 statistics from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, April 2011 report.
Top Industries in the Seattle Metro Area:
Fastest-growing industries in the Seattle metro area are:
- Telecommunications – Led by Clearwire, Comcast and AT&T
- Technology – Led by Amazon.com and F5
- Health care – Led by St. Joseph Medical Center – Tacoma, Franciscan Medical Group and Extendicare Health
- Hospitality – Led by Starbucks
- Defense – Led by US Army
- Insurance – Regence and, Group Health Cooperative
- Retail – Led by Sears
Best-paying industries in the Seattle metro area are:
Top Companies in the Seattle Metro Area*:
- Microsoft Corporation – Microsoft is the world's largest software company. Number 35 of the Fortune 500, Microsoft develops and markets operating systems, business application software, server software, application development software, computer peripherals, entertainment systems, and online services. CareerOneStop reports that Microsoft employs over 35,000 people in the Seattle metropolitan area.
- Seattle Tacoma International Airport – SeaTac Airport serves the Seattle Tacoma area and western Washington state. Seatac is the 18th busiest airport in the US, serving 31.3 million passengers. CareerOneStop reports that SeaTac employs over 21,000 people in the Seattle metropolitan area.
- Boeing – Boeing is the world's largest aerospace manufacturer. Number 34 of the Fortune 500, Boeing is also the 3rd largest aerospace defense contractor. CareerOneStop reports that Boeing employs over 10,000 people in the Seattle metropolitan area.
- Tacoma General Hospital – Tacoma General Hospital is a part of MultiCare, a non-profit health care organization. MultiCare serves the Seattle metropolitan area through 93 area locations. CareerOneStop reports that Tacoma General Hospital employs over 8,500 people in the Seattle metropolitan area.
- MultiCare Hospice and Palliative – Multicare Hospice and Pallative is a part of MultiCare and provides services for patients at home and in nursing homes. MultiCare serves the Seattle metropolitan area through 93 area locations. CareerOneStop reports that Multicare Hospice and Palliative employs over 8,000 people in the Seattle metropolitan area.
- University of Washington Medical Center – University of Washington Medical Center is a teaching and research hospital. Part of the UW Medicine group of hospitals, University of Washington Medical center was ranked 12th nationally by US News & World Reports best hospital ranking. The 450 bed hospital served over 350,000 patients in 2009. CareerOneStop reports that the University of Washington Medical Center employs over 6,000 people in the Seattle metropolitan area.
- Seattle Main Clinic – Seattle Main Clinic is a 336 bed medical hospital, a network of local clinics, and a large physicians group of 440 physicians. CareerOneStop reports that the Seattle Main Clinic employs over 5,000 people in the Seattle metropolitan area.
- South Seattle Community CLG – South Seattle Community CLG is a community college serving Seattle area students. CareerOneStop reports that the South Seattle CLG employs over 5,000 people in the Seattle metropolitan area.
- Stewart Title Company – One of the nation's largest title companies and service providers to the real estate and mortgage lending business, Stewart Title maintains 5 offices in the Seattle metropolitan region. CareerOneStop reports that Stewart Title Company employs over 5,000 people in the Seattle metropolitan area.
- St Joseph Medical Center – St. Joseph Medical Center is Tacoma's largest hospital, and part of the Franciscan Health System. CareerOneStop reports that St. Joseph's employs over 4,400 people in the Seattle metropolitan area.
Top Seattle area Jobs in need of workers:
Top Seattle metro area employment trends**:
- Seattle area work from home opportunities increased 6% since October 2009.
- Seattle area consulting opportunities increased 27% since October 2009.
- Seattle area outsourcing opportunities increased 4% since October 2009.
Seattle attitudes and employment outlook:
Seattle is projected to grow an above average 28.1% through 2025 according to BizJournals.com. As the economy recovers, Seattle's strong base of corporate, public, education, and health care jobs should increase slightly greater than average growth nationally.
-- Find jobs in Seattle, Wa.
* From Career OneStop
** According to SimplyHired Employment Trends