HAMP Help for Unemployed Homeowners

Help for struggling homeowners
Help for struggling homeowners

Are you unemployed and trying to find a way to keep your home? As of July, help is available from the Home Affordable Unemployment Program (HAUP). If you qualify for the program your mortgage payment could be suspended or reduced, depending on your financial situation.

Here are the basic eligibility requirements for HAUP:

  • You must own a one- to four-unit property and live in one of the units as your principal residence.

  • The mortgage on that property must be a first lien originated on or before Jan. 1, 2009.

  • The current unpaid balance of the mortgage is equal to or less than $729,750.

  • Your mortgage loan is in default or default is "reasonably foreseeable."

  • Your mortgage has not been modified by HAMP or you have not received previous help from this program.

  • You must seek help before three full mortgage payments are due and unpaid.

  • You must prove that you are unemployed and document your unemployment benefits.

The servicer can also require that you have been on unemployment benefits for at least three months before your forbearance period can begin.