LUCY GARLAND, RN
~Certified Public Health Nurse~
Diligent, compassionate RN re-entering the field of public health nursing. Possessing 8+ years of nursing experience; successfully completed recent RN Update Class that featured disease management / prevention topics and 120-hour clinical internship at the Waukesha County Public Health Center.
Unique combination of nursing qualifications and community service leadership history reflects dedication, passion, and a perfect fit for public health nursing. Experienced in working with diverse ages and socio-economic conditions in urban, suburban, and rural settings. Member of the Wisconsin Public Health Association. Computer competent; skilled in Internet research.
Core Competencies Include:
Health / Nutrition Screening
Preventive Health Services
Community Program Development
Patient Care Planning
Case Management / Patient Education
Vision / Hearing Screening
Communicable Disease Control
Hematocrit / Blood Glucose Monitoring
Collaboration with School Staff
Data Collection / Analysis
Excerpt from Public Health Nursing Internship Evaluation:
Lucy's Strengths: "Enthusiasm. Dedication. Independence. Nursing Competence."
– Molly Amblin, R.N., M.S., Waukesha County Public Health Center Supervisor / Preceptor – December 2009
RELEVANT EXPERIENCE & KEY ACCOMPLISHMENTS
PUBLIC HEALTH NURSING – Dodge County Community Health Nurses
- Managed public health territory population of 14,000 over a 3-year period that included 13 rural schools; presented numerous health education programs to schools and community groups; directed health screenings; provided nursing care and disease control services; created curriculum guides on health care topics for teachers and youth group leaders.
- Oversaw emergency care policies and procedures of local schools; provided immunization surveillance.
- Orchestrated successful community educational event attended by 500+ and supported by state nutritionists; event focused on understanding and combating childhood obesity; it was held after spearheading and analyzing community-wide nutrition survey that indicated obesity as a major youth health problem.
SCHOOL NURSING – Houston Independent School District
- Coordinated urban and suburban school health clinics, providing physical assessment, nursing care, medication administration, case management, and comprehensive health education to 1,300 students and 80 staff.
- Developed annual health plans coordinating screening programs, communicable disease control, immunization surveillance, health promotion, and injury control strategies.
ADDITIONAL COMMUNITY SERVICE ACHIEVEMENTS
- Provided guidance to 30 students (from 4 Waukesha high schools) in developing award-winning local cable television show that applied the Search Institute's 40 Developmental Assets in its message to promote youth success strategies. (Waukesha Youth Assets Initiative)
- Mentored Butler Middle School students in producing "Hang Tough" (a public service announcement promoting resistance to drugs, violence, and smoking) which won the first place award out of 500 entries in a regional contest sponsored by Time Warner Cable.
- Recognized by the Education Association of Waukesha for dedicated work done on behalf of students in 2003 and honored with Friend of Education Award, given to only 10 citizens each year.
- Played strategic role in establishing Summit View Elementary School's Healthy Youth, Healthy Families program, an achievement recognized by the Outstanding Adult Volunteer Group Award from the Volunteer Center of Waukesha County in 2001.
- Directed comprehensive, county-wide effort to support deployed military troops in 2009; coordinated participation of numerous community and military groups; planned collection event and celebration attended by 1000+. (Big Read)
LICENSURE & CERTIFICATION
REGISTERED NURSE – State of Wisconsin - #65552 (continuous licensure)
CERTIFIED PUBLIC HEALTH NURSE – State of Wisconsin #1855
CPR CERTIFICATION FOR THE HEALTHCARE PROVIDER, Waukesha County Technical College, 2009
WAUKESHA COUNTY TECHNICAL COLLEGE, Pewaukee, WI
- R.N. Update Theory & Skills Class, 2009
- Completed 120-hour Public Health Nursing Internship
- Continuing Education: Treatment of Foot Problems, Anxiety Disorders, Menopause & Sexual Health courses (2009); current Internet subscriptions to Medscape, e-Medicine ; various additional classes and seminars
UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN - MADISON
- M.S. Nursing
- Awarded U.S. Public Health Service Traineeships
- Comprehensive research papers / presentations covered topics relating to the use of family genograms as interviewing techniques, characteristics of health clinic users in elementary schools, and the effect of aerobic training on migraines
- B.S. Nursing
- Concentration: Community Health Nursing
- Academic Honors; Graduated with Distinction; Phi Kappa Phi, Interdisciplinary Honor Society
Public Health Nursing Intern – WAUKESHA COUNTY PUBLIC HEALTH CENTER, Waukesha, WI (Fall 2009)
School Nurse – HOUSTON INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT, Houston, TX (1984 – 1988, 1980 – 1981)
Staff Nurse – UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS MEDICAL SCHOOL, Houston, TX (1981 – 1982)
Public Health Nurse – DODGE COUNTY COMMUNITY HEALTH NURSES, Juneau, WI (1975 – 1978)
Steering Committee Member – BIG READ, Waukesha, WI (2006 – Present)
Sub Committee Chair – PROJECT MILITARY COMFORT, Waukesha, WI (2009)
Health Awareness Book Promoter & Event Planner – LOCAL & WI STATE NURSING EDUCATORS & MEDICAL LIBRARIANS (2008 – Present)
Book Group Co-Leader – THE OASIS READERS, Waukesha, WI (1994 – Present)
Office Assistant & Ad Sales – CHRISTMAS CLEARING COUNCIL, Waukesha, WI (2009, 2007, 2003 – 2004)
Lay Minister & Youth Resource Leader – AVALON SQUARE RETIREMENT COMMUNITY, Waukesha, WI (2003 - 2008, 1999 – 2002)
Marketing & Ad Sales (Co-Leader, 2008) – WAUKESHA WEST BAND BOOSTERS, Waukesha, WI (2001 – 2008)
Program Developer – PROJECT ABC (Advocating on Behalf of Children), Waukesha, WI (2006 – 2007)
Drug, Alcohol, Tobacco & Violence Resistance Catalyst (2005), PTO Member – BUTLER MIDDLE SCHOOL, Waukesha, WI (2003 – 2005, 2002)
Steering Committee Member / Secretary / Adult Mentor – WAUKESHA YOUTH ASSETS INITIATIVE, Waukesha, WI (1999 – 2004)
Grant Writer / Program Developer – WAUKESHA PUBLIC LIBRARY, Waukesha, WI (2002 – 2003)
Youth Development Committee Member – HEALTHY YOUTH – HEALTHY FAMILIES INITIATIVE / SUMMIT VIEW ELEMENTARY SCHOOL, Waukesha, WI (1999 – 2003)
School Volunteer / PTO Member, PTO Co-Vice President (1998), Bicycle Helmet Awareness & Sales Promoter (1996)
Health Clinic Volunteer (1995) D.A.R.E. Walk / Run Assistant (1995), Vision / Hearing / Lice Screener (1993 & as needed) – SUMMIT VIEW ELEMENTARY SCHOOL, Waukesha, WI (1993 – 2003)
Family-Focused Sabbatical (1988 – 1993)