Biz Brief: Swiss Parliament Approves Tax-Cheaters Treaty

Wealthy U.S. tax dodgers may be sitting on edge after the Swiss parliament reluctantly approved a treaty with the United States Tuesday under which Switzerland would hand over the names of thousands of suspected U.S. tax cheats to the IRS, according to an Associated Press report. The treaty is intended to quell U.S. threats to prosecute Switzerland's largest bank UBS (UBS), which has acknowledged it conspired with its clients to defraud the Internal Revenue Service. UBS has agreed to turn over 4,450 of its account holder names.

The treaty is not a totally done deal. The Swiss Parliament's Lower House voted to give its citizens the chance to vote on the measure in a popular referendum before the treaty becomes law. Switzerland's Upper House of Parliament is expected to vote on the referendum proposal on Friday. But if the treaty is ultimately put to a referendum, it would force the country to miss the U.S.-imposed August deadline to resolve the issue, since a vote by Swiss residents couldn't be held until the fall, according to the AP report.

Your resource on tax filing
Tax season is here! Check out the Tax Center on AOL Finance for all the tips and tools you need to maximize your return.
A Guide to Self-Employment Taxes for Contractors, Freelancers, and Beyond [Infographic]
If you work for yourself and don't call anyone your boss, you're likely self-employed. This carries advantages, like not having a manager and deciding your own hours. But it also comes with trade-offs, like paying the self-employment tax and paying for your own employee benefits.
Read MoreBrought to you
Amending Your Income Tax Return
What if you've sent in your income tax return and then discover you made a mistake? You can make things right by filing an amended tax return using Form 1040-X. You can make changes to a tax return to capture a tax break you missed the first time around or to correct an error that might increase your tax.
Read MoreBrought to you
5 Tax Breaks for Veterans
Whether you have served in the military decades ago, or if you’re ready to retire soon, there are specific tax breaks for veterans that can help you and your family save money on your tax bill — and even file your tax returns for free.
Read MoreBrought to you
Filing Tax Returns for Delivery Drivers: Tips and Advice
Whether you’re just starting out or have been in the field for a while, being a delivery driver comes with its own nuances when it’s time to file your taxes. Here are four steps to help guide you through the process and help ensure accuracy while maximizing your return.
Read MoreBrought to you